making refugium out of penguin 330

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
whataya guys think? Co-worker gave me some macro and got no money for a CPR, was thinking about throwing an extra flourescent light i got over it and calling it my new fuge.

I did this with an old whisper HOB. I did not have to modify it all. This is just on a 10 gal so I did not need anything big but it works perfect.

I put a cup of sand, some small LR and some chaeto and thats it. I don't even light it since it gets light from my main fixture. Chaeto keeps growing out the filter into the tank :)

I have the aquaclear 300 set up as a refugium. I took the media basket and cut it up to make a water dam on the pump side and a grate on the outflow side to keep the algae in. then we cut a hole in the lid, glued a piece of plexi on top and added a mini aqualight on a timer. We have an inch of live sand, some lr rubble and chaeto in it, it is breeding pods like crazy.

It's very popular among the nano reefers to use HOB as fuges. One of the modifications they do is switching out the impeller so the flow is reduced.

It's very popular among the nano reefers to use HOB as fuges. One of the modifications they do is switching out the impeller so the flow is reduced.

Back
Top Bottom