Making Salt water, what's your method ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I make my water changes weekly on Sunday mornings. To start the process I take my stored RO/DI water and pump it into a storage container. I then add a pre-set heater, powerhead for circulation and an air stone attached to a small pump. Then I add the salt. Finally, I put a lid on the storage container and let it go until the water is needed. This heats, circulates and airates (sp?) the water.

Because I have done this numerous times, I have worked out the amount of salt needed for the correct salinity, but I do check just before the water change. The water is prepared in the basement so there are not any temperature issues.

I usually make the water on a Friday night (I live an exciting life). This allows the water to age about 36 hours before usage.

What are your thoughts, what do you do different if anything?? Most books tell you to make the water and age it, but few references give the details on proper techniques.

I do pretty much the same as you. I make up a tub of RO/DI water, throw in some salt, ph and heater and let it sit overnight. Usually about 24hrs.

Same here. 34 gallon Brute trash can, preset heater, PH, and mix salt, let it go overnight. I usally tripple check my SG with my refracto before adding anything into the display. Then i get out my nice 1120 GPH pump, fill both hoses and drain 30 gallons out of my display tank in about 3 mins. lol

My water change method is VERY manual. I use a 5 gallon bucket to remove about 4 gallons of water ( the bucket is marked). I do this twice for a total of 8 gallons. Then I have to move the new salt water from the basement to the dining room manually using two 1 gallon jugs (one in each hand). It takes time, but I can't do any fancy plumbing in the dining room.

Fill up a large rubbermaid tub with 20gal of RO/DI water. Add about 12 cups of Coralife sea salt and mix. Put in a heater, an air stone and a powerhead for circulation. I let it mix for 24-48hrs before doing a water change.

I fill up one of my tanks with RO/DI water, throw in the salt and let my hob filter do the mixing. Like the others above, I also let it run for a couple of days before changing the water.

Finally, I put a lid on the storage container and let it go until the water is needed.
That is the one thing I would do differently. With the lid on air exchange is going to be very limited, even w/ the airstone IMO. I remove the lid on the trash can I use 12-24 hours before I plan on using the water. The lid goes back on until it's time for another PWC.

I guess I was not specific enough. The lid is not sealed tight. So air going in to the container via the air stone can escape.

The lid is more to keep our dust/dirt and flying kids toys.

If you dont have kids, you will never understand how far (or fast) a 2 year old can throw a 6" Spider-man action figure.

Don't even get me started on the Aquatic Rescue Heroes. I have remove this "action" hero from the fish tank, the toilet, the pool, the shower and my RO container. Some places more than once. It gets carefully washed after each "adventure".

I do the same as you do. I also have a lid on, but cracke to allow some air. But mine is to keep out nosy ferrets who would love to jump in for a swim.

Back
Top Bottom