Malu Anemone - Not in good shape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought it was time i posted a thread on my Malu. Had him about 6 weeks and whern i first bought him he was a lovely brown colour and a lot bigger than he is now. For around 2 - 3 weeks now he has lost all his colour, completely bleached and is currently not attached to anything. This morning i check on him and 15 minutes later he had moved (first time he moved) however i think he got blown by the powerhead as i found him upside down. I've been feeding him every couple of days on cockles and mysis shrimp and he eats 'most' of the time. I have just read on another website that you shouldn'd feed a Malu and let the light do the work?

A bit about my tank. Just installed 3 x Aquaray 1000 HD's. At first i had 4 x T8's which were useless so i borrowed my friends MH which seemed to make the nem worse. I believe it may have been too much light.

I'm a little confused as to what to do as a lot of people are saying completely different things.

1. you should feed it daily
2. you shouldn't feed it at all
3. it needs mega intense lighting
4. it need indirect lighting
5. if its bleached its almost dead
6. if its bleached its not the end of the world and needs TLC

Any help on this would be great. I certainly dont want to loose all my livestock and would rather get rid of the nem but its knowing whens is right to do so.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0502[1].jpg
    IMG_0502[1].jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 178
Well, that is a very bleached nem. It might be beyond the point of no return. I would not feed it as digestion of food consumes alot of energy for a nem, which yours won't have or be able to replace at this point.

Your nem worsened with the new lighting because it wasn't acclimated to the new light. Going from T8 to MH shocked it, similar to opening the curtains of an all dark room to reviel a bright, snowy day. Sadly, there aren't any brown malu anemones so when you bought him he was already in a downward spiral. Personally, I would remove the nem and try again later down the road.

MH can easily support nems, if you continue to use this fixture you should be able to support one without issue. How long has the tank been set up? There are still parameter fluctuations within a tank that can lead to issues/death of an anemone up until a year of being set up.

Tank has been set up for about 8 months.

I think it was more of a 'Tan' colour when i bought it (not brown).

If i decide to remove him whats the best way? I was thinking of setting up a QT but i think moving it will stress it even more. I dont want it dying in my tank but i still feel a little reluctant to whip it out! Tough one!

How weird. The shop told me it was a Malu. It looked like the top left one!

I have a friend who has a beautiful Magnifica for sale at a really good price. I'm not up for putting them in together however i've told him if my Malu (Crispa) doesn't make it i will take his!

Thanks for your help on this

Np. It is easy to mistake a malu and sebae. A malu is actually a less common variety of sebae. But, tbh man, I'd toss that thing in the trash and try again. I'm not sure I'd jump on the magnifica...how long have you been keeping reef tanks? Basically I ask because the ritteri nem is even harder to keep than the malu/sebae! I've been at this side of aquaria for a year now, and TBH I'm not comfortable at the level of care you are attempting at this moment in my own tanks. Just an FYI, whatever you choose to do I wish you luck...I would just lean towards an easier nem like a bta or a long tentacle maybe.

Your nem is very bleached, my nems thrive 6 inches under 2x250 MH. You said you borrowed the fixture, how old are the bulbs? They may be shot and are doing nothing for it. You really should wait a least a year to gain more experience and to make sure all parameters are stable. I think the nem can still be saved, when you touch it is it sticky? I never feed mine except what ever they get in the water flow when feeding fish. They do not need feed if they have the proper lighting, and if you do feed them, very small pieces. I have 3 and my oldest (8 years) is about 8" x 12", it is huge. Strangely his foot is anchored near the bottom of the tank, but in the daytime he will stretch 8 inches to be near the lights.

Np. It is easy to mistake a malu and sebae. A malu is actually a less common variety of sebae. But, tbh man, I'd toss that thing in the trash and try again. I'm not sure I'd jump on the magnifica...how long have you been keeping reef tanks? Basically I ask because the ritteri nem is even harder to keep than the malu/sebae! I've been at this side of aquaria for a year now, and TBH I'm not comfortable at the level of care you are attempting at this moment in my own tanks. Just an FYI, whatever you choose to do I wish you luck...I would just lean towards an easier nem like a bta or a long tentacle maybe.

I agree thats a sebae

Holygral said:
Your nem is very bleached, my nems thrive 6 inches under 2x250 MH. You said you borrowed the fixture, how old are the bulbs? They may be shot and are doing nothing for it. You really should wait a least a year to gain more experience and to make sure all parameters are stable. I think the nem can still be saved, when you touch it is it sticky? I never feed mine except what ever they get in the water flow when feeding fish. They do not need feed if they have the proper lighting, and if you do feed them, very small pieces. I have 3 and my oldest (8 years) is about 8" x 12", it is huge. Strangely his foot is anchored near the bottom of the tank, but in the daytime he will stretch 8 inches to be near the lights.

It still sticks to the back of my hand and last night it was moving as if trying to attach itself.

The MH were only temporary while I was waiting for my new aquarays. I now have 3 aquaray 1000 hd running.

I have a 55 litre aquarium I was thinking about setting up as a QT for the anemone. He is getting blown around a lot by the power heads and to me looks like he needs to be alone!

Back
Top Bottom