Man of War fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever heard of these or seen care requirements on them? I found a Florida diver's website and browse through his stock list once in a while and came across these that he was selling.

Nomeus gronovii
Man-of-War-Fish-Nomeus-gronovii-IMG_8042.jpeg

Apparently they get up to 15 inches long and while there's no way I'll be able to keep them anytime soon I was wondering if anyone has tried.

Has anyone ever heard of these or seen care requirements on them? I found a Florida diver's website and browse through his stock list once in a while and came across these that he was selling.

Nomeus gronovii

Apparently they get up to 15 inches long and while there's no way I'll be able to keep them anytime soon I was wondering if anyone has tried.

Doing some research I came up with they are open ocean fish that live with the tentacles of the Portuguese man o war jellyfish. Doesn't seem like a great aquarium inhabitant. Best left in the sea lol.

Just don't put your hand in, you'll be fine. You'll also need a really tall tank. I've heard their tentacles can get to be 50 feet long.

Just don't put your hand in, you'll be fine. You'll also need a really tall tank. I've heard their tentacles can get to be 50 feet long.

Oh man looks like I know what my next tank is gonna be lol. Jk but that would be awesome. These man of war fish feed off the tentacles as well. I wouldn't stick them in a tank.

Oh man looks like I know what my next tank is gonna be lol. Jk but that would be awesome. These man of war fish feed off the tentacles as well. I wouldn't stick them in a tank.

Everything I've read states that the tentacles get "nibbled on" not that its their food source. I would find it hard to believe that the fish couldn't survive without man of war jellyfish tentacles in their diet.

I look at it in a similar fashion as a clownfish with a nem. They like being there but don't need it to survive. It would be dumb if a fish species wasn't capable of surviving without its host jellyfish as the species would go extinct.

Everything I've read states that the tentacles get "nibbled on" not that its their food source. I would find it hard to believe that the fish couldn't survive without man of war jellyfish tentacles in their diet.

I look at it in a similar fashion as a clownfish with a nem. They like being there but don't need it to survive. It would be dumb if a fish species wasn't capable of surviving without its host jellyfish as the species would go extinct.

Hmm I was reading they fed on the jellyfishes tentacles and gonads. There are plenty of host specific parasites that require another organism to survive. Clowns aren't host specific as they many of them can host several species of anemones. These guys only live with one species of jellyfish.

Hmm I was reading they fed on the jellyfishes tentacles and gonads. There are plenty of host specific parasites that require another organism to survive. Clowns aren't host specific as they many of them can host several species of anemones. These guys only live with one species of jellyfish.

I take that as them being able to tolerate the sting of the man of war. Apparently they actively avoid some of the jellyfish tentacles which have more powerful stinging capabilities than the others. Heck, maybe the nibbling of the tentacles provides them with the resistance, or its just because they are bored.

Boring. Get the jellyfish

+1

I take that as them being able to tolerate the sting of the man of war. Apparently they actively avoid some of the jellyfish tentacles which have more powerful stinging capabilities than the others. Heck, maybe the nibbling of the tentacles provides them with the resistance, or its just because they are bored.

+1

Yeah I read they swim in and out of them avoiding them. Pretty cool fish. Definitely agree on just getting the jellyfish haha

I think you'd be ok with incandescent lighting. Make sure you light acclimate them though. Don't wanna bleach them.

Back
Top Bottom