Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mandarin?

Can you have a green mandrine and a red mandrine in the same tank together. I know it's difficult to have two green ones in a tank, but I have a green one already and want to add a red.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm not exactly sure...but housing one mandarin can be enough of a challenge with pod population, let alone 2.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I'm not exactly sure...but housing one mandarin can be enough of a challenge with pod population, let alone 2.
Doubt you can house to different one in same tank unless its a very big tank ive housed a male and female pair green mandarin in a 55g for 3 years now i stocked my fuge 3 years ago with 1000 pods and never had to restock
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

didnt you just start your tank 3-4 weeks ago? If so your not even done cycling yet and you will never keep a mandarin alive, he will starve to death.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The tank was already cycled through when I got it and. I have had one mandrine in there since the first week, and all my other fish are doing fine. I have had the tank for about 2 months now. And have 13 fish in there now, along with 2 anemones and picking up an anthela blue coral today
Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkentc
The tank was already cycled through when I got it and. I have had one mandrine in there since the first week, and all my other fish are doing fine. I have had the tank for about 2 months now. And have 13 fish in there now, along with 2 anemones and picking up an anthela blue coral today

13 fish in a 55 wow couldnt imagine it. That seems like an awful lot amigo.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah, no offense man but you are really taxing yourself and setting yourself up to fail pretty hard if you keep adding more fish to an already overstocked system. Saltwater doesn't work like fresh in terms of how many you can have in a tank. In my 55, I have 7 fish and I wouldn't add anymore. I can get away with it due to my oversized skimmer.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Yeah, no offense man but you are really taxing yourself and setting yourself up to fail pretty hard if you keep adding more fish to an already overstocked system. Saltwater doesn't work like fresh in terms of how many you can have in a tank. In my 55, I have 7 fish and I wouldn't add anymore. I can get away with it due to my oversized skimmer.

+ 1 hank i too have 7 and an over sized skimmer. I wouldnt dare add anymore.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You are already way over stocked, anemones should only go into a set up that is at least 1 year old, so the tank has time to mature and very stable water conditions, along with good lighting. Unless your mandarin is eating other foods besides pods, you will not be able to keep him alive long in a 55 unless you are going to buy pods on a weekly bases. Not trying to be harsh but you have too much and not the right type of fish and corals crammed into your 55. I know its not what anyone wants to hear but we are trying to help.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral
You are already way over stocked, anemones should only go into a set up that is at least 1 year old, so the tank has time to mature and very stable water conditions, along with good lighting. Unless your mandarin is eating other foods besides pods, you will not be able to keep him alive long in a 55 unless you are going to buy pods on a weekly bases. Not trying to be harsh but you have too much and not the right type of fish and corals crammed into your 55. I know its not what anyone wants to hear but we are trying to help.
Depends on type of fish if your overstocked or not 13 small fish that remain small like chromis or gobies then your ok they dont produce a huge bioload but if you have bigger fish like tangs or angels they produce big bioload then your overstocked stocking depends on filtration the right filtration goes a long way like i said previously ive housed 2 mandarin in a 55g for 3 years now and only stocked 1000 pods one time a good fugi helps keep them populated i disagree with waiting a year on anenome as long as your biofiltration is good and right lighting keepin parameters stable your good to get one ive fully stocked a tank with sps coral one week after cycling with no issues

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com