Mandarin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xkentc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you have a green mandrine and a red mandrine in the same tank together. I know it's difficult to have two green ones in a tank, but I have a green one already and want to add a red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniperhank said:
I'm not exactly sure...but housing one mandarin can be enough of a challenge with pod population, let alone 2.

Doubt you can house to different one in same tank unless its a very big tank ive housed a male and female pair green mandarin in a 55g for 3 years now i stocked my fuge 3 years ago with 1000 pods and never had to restock

didnt you just start your tank 3-4 weeks ago? If so your not even done cycling yet and you will never keep a mandarin alive, he will starve to death.

The tank was already cycled through when I got it and. I have had one mandrine in there since the first week, and all my other fish are doing fine. I have had the tank for about 2 months now. And have 13 fish in there now, along with 2 anemones and picking up an anthela blue coral today

Xkentc said:
The tank was already cycled through when I got it and. I have had one mandrine in there since the first week, and all my other fish are doing fine. I have had the tank for about 2 months now. And have 13 fish in there now, along with 2 anemones and picking up an anthela blue coral today

13 fish in a 55 wow couldnt imagine it. That seems like an awful lot amigo.

Yeah, no offense man but you are really taxing yourself and setting yourself up to fail pretty hard if you keep adding more fish to an already overstocked system. Saltwater doesn't work like fresh in terms of how many you can have in a tank. In my 55, I have 7 fish and I wouldn't add anymore. I can get away with it due to my oversized skimmer.

Sniperhank said:
Yeah, no offense man but you are really taxing yourself and setting yourself up to fail pretty hard if you keep adding more fish to an already overstocked system. Saltwater doesn't work like fresh in terms of how many you can have in a tank. In my 55, I have 7 fish and I wouldn't add anymore. I can get away with it due to my oversized skimmer.

+ 1 hank i too have 7 and an over sized skimmer. I wouldnt dare add anymore.

You are already way over stocked, anemones should only go into a set up that is at least 1 year old, so the tank has time to mature and very stable water conditions, along with good lighting. Unless your mandarin is eating other foods besides pods, you will not be able to keep him alive long in a 55 unless you are going to buy pods on a weekly bases. Not trying to be harsh but you have too much and not the right type of fish and corals crammed into your 55. I know its not what anyone wants to hear but we are trying to help.

Holygral said:
You are already way over stocked, anemones should only go into a set up that is at least 1 year old, so the tank has time to mature and very stable water conditions, along with good lighting. Unless your mandarin is eating other foods besides pods, you will not be able to keep him alive long in a 55 unless you are going to buy pods on a weekly bases. Not trying to be harsh but you have too much and not the right type of fish and corals crammed into your 55. I know its not what anyone wants to hear but we are trying to help.

Depends on type of fish if your overstocked or not 13 small fish that remain small like chromis or gobies then your ok they dont produce a huge bioload but if you have bigger fish like tangs or angels they produce big bioload then your overstocked stocking depends on filtration the right filtration goes a long way like i said previously ive housed 2 mandarin in a 55g for 3 years now and only stocked 1000 pods one time a good fugi helps keep them populated i disagree with waiting a year on anenome as long as your biofiltration is good and right lighting keepin parameters stable your good to get one ive fully stocked a tank with sps coral one week after cycling with no issues

i bet there is lots of action in that tank eh! My 55 has 5 fish and sometimes you can only see 1 if the others are in the rock. I'd love to add like 5 more to fill up the empty water space but no way could my system deal with it.

danbstrong said:
Depends on type of fish if your overstocked or not 13 small fish that remain small like chromis or gobies then your ok they dont produce a huge bioload but if you have bigger fish like tangs or angels they produce big bioload then your overstocked stocking depends on filtration the right filtration goes a long way like i said previously ive housed 2 mandarin in a 55g for 3 years now and only stocked 1000 pods one time a good fugi helps keep them populated i disagree with waiting a year on anenome as long as your biofiltration is good and right lighting keepin parameters stable your good to get one ive fully stocked a tank with sps coral one week after cycling with no issues

Its always going to be based on opinion. I like to keep my prison population down. Clown fish have been known to incite minor riots.

Most of the fish that are in the tank are small fish with the exception of the tang and angel. I have a pretty good setup for the tank, I have 3 filters, 2 of which are bio wheels and 1 with a slimmer on it and I have a new skimmer being delivered next week. The lighting system is really good. I have a T5 system with daylights moonlights and normal lights on it all set up on an automatic timer. The one madrine that I have in the tank has been in it since day one and is doing great. He does have plenty of pods to eat and occasionally eats frozen food.

Xkentc said:
Most of the fish that are in the tank are small fish with the exception of the tang and angel. I have a pretty good setup for the tank, I have 3 filters, 2 of which are bio wheels and 1 with a slimmer on it and I have a new skimmer being delivered next week. The lighting system is really good. I have a T5 system with daylights moonlights and normal lights on it all set up on an automatic timer. The one madrine that I have in the tank has been in it since day one and is doing great. He does have plenty of pods to eat and occasionally eats frozen food.

Tang in 55 gallon?

Yes a tommy tang they said it shouldn't get to big. But I'm planning on upgrading my tank in a year or so, so if by that time if it has grown larger than excepted I will already have a larger setup.

Xkentc said:
Yes a tommy tang they said it shouldn't get to big. But I'm planning on upgrading my tank in a year or so, so if by that time if it has grown larger than excepted I will already have a larger setup.

That's good that u have a plan for it

Xkentc said:

Tommy tang?? Never heard of it its not in my marine fish book can you post a pic im just curious

Yeah I can do it later today. And yeah this is my first tank that I have owned personally I just wanted to make sure everything goes well with this tank before I upgrade and move everything. I have had a lot experience with my mothers 75g that she had for 5 years.

Xkentc said:
Yeah I can do it later today. And yeah this is my first tank that I have owned personally I just wanted to make sure everything goes well with this tank before I upgrade and move everything. I have had a lot experience with my mothers 75g that she had for 5 years.

Do you mean a tomini tang

Back
Top Bottom