Mandarin???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 37 gallon with a small refugium and about 60 Lbs of LR. It currently has a clown and Black Cap Basslet. I would like to add a Mandarin in 6 months. Can this setup realistically support a Mandarin?? If not I might substitute a Carpenters Flasher wrasse and a Yellow Clown Goby for the Mandarin. The Wrasse would be in competition for the Copapods with Mandarin. Would the Goby also reduce the Pod population if I had a Mandarin and a Goby?? Thanks. R

I don't believe most gobies eat pods. My yellow clown goby never goes near the bottom or cruises the rocks, so I can say he doesn't eat'm. Sounds like you got enuf rock to support one when the time is right.

Just noticed the 37g tank. I was going on the 60lbs of rock.

Yeah, that's pushing it maybe. Maybe a fuge where pods can multiply might help.

Rev, haven't heard much from ya! You make sure you contact me before you come up this way.

he has a fuge, I think its borderline but can be done. just be carefull to get one that eats prepared foods and get a healthy looking one. Make sure your fuge has lots of pods too.

Thanks for the info. I really don't want to have to supplement the Mandarin with purchased pods. I am already dosing the coral with quite a collection potions. My tank has copapods, but I wonder how many are lost to the filter sock?? R

it can be done if they will choose prepared foods as a supplement. they still need pods. i kept one for about 9 months in my 29g with 70lbs of live rock, 40lbs of live sand, a 10g sump with a refugium section ( with sand ,rock and macro algae ) and a CPR HOB fuge ( whith sand, rubble and macro ) which i did not light. the dark fuge really made a nice place for the pods to grow. he transferd into the 75g and is still doing good. he eats frozen mysis every other day. if you can get one that eats frozen foods it can be done. it is low percentage though.

the goby may eat the occasional pod bit will not deplete your supply. if i was playing the odds i would not get the mandarin.

steve r

Mandarin Needs alot of pods and some may eat basic foods but even if a mandarin eats basic foods they are constantly hungry, Stay away from mandarin unless you have like 125gal tank with lots of live rock, I made a mistake last time and he lasted like 9months before dying..

I have kept a mandarin in a 30g for a year now. The key to massive pod populations is PHYTOPLANKTON

I absolutely agree. I have done the same with mine. I've had her for 6 months now. I run a fuge though so I think that helps.

Let me say that if you have a large quanity of Live Rock, and you are able to keep the pod population up and booming, then it can be done. The Manderin is NOT for beginners though. Glad you all have had success in the 30g's. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom