Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

I stocked my fugi once 3 years ago with 1000 pods and i keep a pair of mandarin in 55g they are fat and healthy no need to keep throwing pods in they reproduce at a very rapid rate if they have a safe place
Thats comforting to hear. Still kind of scared to make the impulse buy. Gonna give it some time. If my clump of chaeto is still a pod factory in a few weeks then ill seriously consider a 2nd. Ive been wanting to buy a bottle of phyto to squirt into the chaeto to feed the pods.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWoWee View Post

Thats comforting to hear. Still kind of scared to make the impulse buy. Gonna give it some time. If my clump of chaeto is still a pod factory in a few weeks then ill seriously consider a 2nd. Ive been wanting to buy a bottle of phyto to squirt into the chaeto to feed the pods.
No need to feed pods at least i never have

Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

All respect and kudos to danbstrong, but that is not a normal situation. I've spoken to and read of more than three dozen fish keepers with mandarins. While I do not have exact figures, here's a rough idea.
Two dozen lost the mandarin to starvation even in tanks as large as 90, with a thriving refugium full of pods. Half dozen had ORA mandarins, of which maybe two eventually refused frozen food. Those two and four of the remaining half dozen are still alive - but the keeper pours money into pods at least every two weeks, some more often. And then there's one or two (well two or three now with Danbstrong) that have fat mandarins that behave and don't eat all the pods.
Very clearly, it CAN be done. But take nothing for granted, and I gotta be honest, even if your female mandarin eats frozen, there's no guarantee a male will. You need to be prepared to spend money on pods if it comes to that, and hope it doesn't.
All that being said, if you have the luck, and your mandarins pair up, their breeding process is fascinating! And potentially lucrative.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
All respect and kudos to danbstrong, but that is not a normal situation. I've spoken to and read of more than three dozen fish keepers with mandarins. While I do not have exact figures, here's a rough idea.
Two dozen lost the mandarin to starvation even in tanks as large as 90, with a thriving refugium full of pods. Half dozen had ORA mandarins, of which maybe two eventually refused frozen food. Those two and four of the remaining half dozen are still alive - but the keeper pours money into pods at least every two weeks, some more often. And then there's one or two (well two or three now with Danbstrong) that have fat mandarins that behave and don't eat all the pods.
Very clearly, it CAN be done. But take nothing for granted, and I gotta be honest, even if your female mandarin eats frozen, there's no guarantee a male will. You need to be prepared to spend money on pods if it comes to that, and hope it doesn't.
All that being said, if you have the luck, and your mandarins pair up, their breeding process is fascinating! And potentially lucrative.
Ya idk these were my first mandarin i bought them as mated pair i guess i just got lucky they dont mate but they do swim side by side and even sleep together they dont eat frozen tho my other fish dont give them time lol
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

Ya idk these were my first mandarin i bought them as mated pair i guess i just got lucky they dont mate but they do swim side by side and even sleep together they dont eat frozen tho my other fish dont give them time lol
I wonder why those mandarin starved with thriving pod population tho seems odd
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it's a numbers game. Assuming no other food source for this.
In the wild, mandarin dragonets are observed picking a pod once every 2-5 seconds. Lets use the conservative number, 5 seconds. That's 12 per minute. 72 per hour. Assume a ten hour light schedule, 720 per day. Even with a breeding population, a single mandarin can consume them faster than they can multiply, unless tere are multiple places in which they can feed and breed without predation. A fuge is good for this, but only if enough travel to the DT each day. Piles of rock rubble in the DT can go a long way towards helping, but ultimately, without additional food (frozen or pellets), this is very difficult to sustain. My guess in your case is that there are lots of nooks and crannies the mandarins cannot reach, plus they are eating some of your other fish food when you're not looking.
I'm not an expert, this is only my guess. Either way, I'm pleased they are doing well!
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to chime in again. I tried a Madarin once. It didn't work out. Slowly starved to death over the course of 2-3 months. These little guys are so hard to keep fat and happy. I feel like they need a massive pile of live rock to pick through and sustain for a prolonged period of time. Just one eats a LOT of pods. Cultivating pods in a separate container in the tank is a great idea and you seem committed to success. I give you credit, but adding two might really put both at risk of starvation in a 40.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have one in my 55 reef. I have to order pods monthly to keep it going. He is fat and happy, but he's an expense to say the least. Just gave him 2k more pods yesterday infact.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree on this thread. They CAN be kept, but it seems the ones that make it have been weaned to foods other than just pods, or the tank was teeming with pods and no other competition. One wrasse can out eat any Mandarine leaving it to starve. Most of these little fish die early in the aquarium. Less than a couple of years. I love this fish and after years of staying away from them, I am going to try a ORA this winter in my frag tank where I can control things a bit better. But I plan to have several food sources ready to go first.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com