Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mandarin Dragonnet and pods

Hi!

How can you say you have enough pods to feed a Dragonnet?

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can't, unless you don't see it eating or picking at the rocks.

try and train it to eat prepared food or invest in a HOB refugium and dump bottled pods in there so they can live and bread and eventually flow out into the main display or get a sump fuge, your choice, although an HOB is better for the distibution of pods

Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you have a refugium or fuge with live rock and some macro algae and you see constant pods, I don't mean a few here and there, I mean IMMENSE amounts of them I would say you might be ready. ususally it takes months and months to get the population of pods to where it can sustain a mandarin.

I have a blue ORA mandarin, supposedly it was raised on pellets and prepared foods. It took about a month of constant feeding of a myriad of frozen foods to get mine to eat. Luckily I had enough pods to get her by in the meantime. I have a fuge on the back of my biocube so I believe that helped alot.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hummmmmmm......always had a crush for this fish But would'nt want to see one of these guys starve...I have a 5g fuge in my sump with 3 lbs of rock and a ball of chaeto. This is a 30g tank, running for 2 months. I have 2 false perculas, I plan to house a Bengal Cardinal (which is the next fish I plan to add in a few weeks) and a Coral Beauty Angelfish too (i'll add it last). I plan to wait this spring before I add the dragonnet, after 6 months do you think I'll have enough pods? I saw those pods in bottle you can buy online. If wonder if they keep some at my LFS. I could seed my fuge with it a few weeks before I add the dragonnet? I saw pods during my cycle (always saw 4 or 5 wandering on my rock) and I don't see anymore since I put fish in there.
1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could always add a few bottles of pods to the fuge and wait till they start to reproduce and cause a spike before you get a mandarin. you can also put some small pieces of rock in the fuge and once or twice a week move the rock from the fuge to the display tank so that the pods can spread out more and feed more
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like the idea of rock switching from display to fuge. Well, I'll think about it, and I have plenty of time to change my mind, but this fish is beautiful, and I'd really like to have it.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of pods do u have that you can see, and where can I get some? I plan on getting a mandarin some day, and want to get them started, I already put a bag of pods + in from reef cleaners, but you can't see them.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had an ample supply of pods already, they just seem to multiply and now I have really big fat juicy ones. lol

Tags
dragon, mandarin, pods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com