mandarin feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone. I have a couple of questions about feeding a mandarin.
I have a 90 gal, it's been running at least 6 months. There is some LR, but not the recommended 100lbs. I was loaded with pods, and i thought it would be ok, so i bought a mandarin a few weeks ago.
I think he's depleted the pod population, though I still see a few on the glass. He's still picking at them , but seems to be getting a little thin.
I read on here about trying to get them to take live brine and eventually frozen mysis.
I know the brine has basically no nutrition, what I'm wondering is if I soak the brine with garlic and Zoe, will that be enough. He ate the live brine that swam by him, so I'm hopeful. I love this fish and would love to keep him if possible.
Now the tough question...does anyone think I should bring the mandarin back to my LFS while he's still healthy? I don't want to kill such a beautiful fish because of my bad judgement...or is the fact he took the live food a good sign?
I'd be willing to buy pods if I kew where I could get them from.
I'm thinking I need to return him, but I'm really hoping someone will tell me he has a chance to thrive.

thanks in advance for any advice...even if it's not what I want to hear.

Add more live rock. Mandarins that take in other than live food are few and far between. Don't count on it, though it doesn't hurt to try. If you get the one you have eating dead food, then you're in luck. If not, adding more live rock will add to the copepod population.

You could ask the LFS if they'd let you have the crumbs at the bottom of the live rock boxes. They're usually loaded with copepods. At least the store I work for has a bunch at the bottom of the boxes. We've given them to customers before.

If you don't plan on having the proper environment for the mandarin, then the best thing to do is to return the animal and wait until the tank can support them.

Now...to keep an open mind here...there could be a different problem. Perhaps there is enough live rock to produce the food the mandarin needs. You are still seeing them so they are still present. I know this is a hard thing to do, but watch out for white or red stringy poop. Also keep an eye on the animal's overall appearance. If the animal continues to eat but continues to loss weight, separate him. Get him out of the tank. QT him with or wthout medications.

Try feeding the mandarin cyclopse or cyclopseze. Frozen is more like natural food than freeze dried. Mix it in with some live brine and see what happens.

Good luck with the little fish. They are beautiful, but they are delicate and demanding in their care.

Mine is doing fine and I don't see pods. I don't think you have to see pods for them to be there, but in only a 6 month old tank with little LR, there may not be enuf pods.

I've also heard Cyclopeeze can work.

Guess what!?!? I was about to buy a fish tank to grow Pods.

This morning my Mandarin is eating Brine Shrimp!?!?!?!?! Gash I am really in luck!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Brine

Frozen type? I hope. Hatched are not very nutritious. Build a pile of rubble rock in a corner of your tank and cover with a strawberry basket. Will give pods you do have a place to hide and multiply.
Teakie

oh. do i need to put in any seaweed (as a food source for the PODS) in the basket??

thanks!! :D

Food source for pods

They don't eat seaweed. The eat phytoplankton. If you check out my Web site, you'll find numerous articles. A Mandarin can quickly consume what's in your tank, that's why whatever article you read, concerning Mandarins, recommend a breeding source for pods. The major, number one, cause of death of captive Mandarins, is starvation. Some can be trained (usually in a QT) to eat various foods. Some people just get lucky and their Mandarin will eat Frozen Brine or BBS. But the Copepods, especially adults that are full of eggs, are the most nutritious.

TCT fish, knows what she's talking about. Either make sure you're going to be able to support it's needs, or return it.

Additional LR may contain some more pods, but you can't just keep adding LR, that's not feasible. What is, is a remote refugium or 'Pod Farm'.

Teakie

You're welcome. Didn't mean to offend you in any way, but Mandarins have become my main interest. Have even set up a tank and am currently doing intense reading on breeding the Synchiropus splendidus

If you have been able to get your mandarin to eat live brine shrimp, try gut loading the shrimp before you feed them to the mandarin. That will help increase the nutritional value of them.

oh, my brine shrimp are the frozen type.

I think he really like them now because I don't need to spot-feed him now. I just put in the Brine shrimp into the tank and he will join with other fish to fight for the food!!

sorry... another novice qns: Frozen brine are more better than Live brine? I am curious because it is much cheaper to buy Frozen than Live one over here!

nevertheless i have just bought a mini basket to "grow" PODS!

Thanks!

Fighting Mandarins

I have never seen a Mandarin 'fight' for food. Their own way of searching for food is slow and easy. They will look over a pod for seconds, then nip. The do not tend to socialize with other fish, except perhaps a mate they have spawned with.

Yes frozen brine are better. They have added nutrients & vitamins. You might even try some Formula 1 or 2 pellet food. They've been known to eat that also.

He/she will love the pods. By the way, is it male or female?
Teakie

oh! I got the misconception that live food is always better! Thanks TeakieDLP for the correction !! :D

I think my mandarin is a female (don't see any spine).

maybe using the word "fight" is exaggerating but she will swim towards the brine and try to compete to eat. :wink:

First feed your other fish first, on one end of the tank. Then feed the Mandarin where he normally hangs out. Or vis a vis, whichever works best.

Teakie

Back
Top Bottom