Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Brenden your experience is based on a 500+ tank..........
Food being a BIG issue in a small tank...

Even if all of them will eat prepared food you will still have issues since they would need a constant food source and feeding many times a day is really not a option.

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
That's a male. And your tank isn't big enough for them all to have their own territory... look at it like... 50-100lbs live rock per mandarin. That'd be 150-300lbs rock for 3, and then each is going to have roughly a 40-50 gallon territory. Even then, the males are likely to duke it out. Also, spotted mandarins are well known for eating frozen. That's not a big accomplishment, honestly, but it isn't insurance either. Your guy is looking good though, as long as he's getting a variety, he should be okay. But green mandarins are a whole different story... only rarely do they accept frozen food, and usually only from a pipette. If I were you, I'd invest in more liverock and look for a female to match the male you have. Even mated mandains really don't hang together any time but during spawning time. Good luck comin to a decision!

Only thing more dangerous than a 2nd lieutenant saying "In my experience" is a warrant officer saying "Hey guys, check this out!"
zuzecawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to give you guys an update.

So I went ahead and got the pair of mandarins last week. I returned my spotted mandarin (a male) to the LFS. My wife was so upset. The guy there is a friend of mine and put him in one of the display tanks. I didn't want him going to a bad place. The spotted male was attacking both the male and female green mandarins.

Now about the food. After a lot of patience, tricks, and time I've gotten both the male and female green mandarins to accept frozen food. YEAH!!!!! I guess this is quite an accomplishment given what "zuzecawi" posted. The male was easier to get on frozen food than the female. This could be due to the fact that she is much smaller in size and consequently has a smaller mouth. The male eats both frozen brine and mysis to a lesser degree. He even ate KM carnivore pellet food yesterday which was awesome. I think soaking all food in Garlic is the key along with making sure everyone else in the tank has a full belly. Now that they are both trained to eat frozen food they actually chase them in the tank when I put the food in.

I'll have to post a pic of them. It's quite interesting to watch the behavior of the pair. Sometimes the female comes to the front of the tank when I'm there to greet (I'm guessing) but as soon as the male sees her there he comes right at her scaring her back into the rock. Kind of funny. These are some of the most beautiful fish. Thanks again to everyone who posted.

ctmedman is offline   Reply With Quote

compatibility, fish compatibility, ick, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com