Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mandarin fish mia

Shoot. It's been a whole day that we've been looking for our little mandarin fish. We can't find him. He usually hangs out in the back of our 28 gal nano cube, and for some reason we can't see him today. We were initially thinking maybe our crab got him. We got our flashlight tonight to look at the tank in the dark, and you won't believe this... We just found out that there is actually 4 crabs in there. I am so worried. Did he get snatched by one of the crabs? We bought this tank and the contents from someone 4 weeks ago now, and we (and the seller) thought there was only one crab in there. Now we found the original crab (1 inch body) and two smaller one and a very small baby one tonight. Should we get rid of them all? We also have 2 clowns and an algae blenny in there. I'd hate it if they took over everything. Help!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has the mandarin been in the tank (before you got it)?? Was it eating prepared foods? maybe it starved to death.

As for the crabs try the glass trick. Lean a glass or bottle up against the rock at night time with some food in the bottom. The crabs will fall in and not be able to get back out. Then you can put them in the back of the tank or somewhere where they wont do any more harm.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #3

Thanks. I gather that the mandarin fish was in there for 14 months. He ate copepods I was told. Now, this might be stupid, but I have no idea how he got the copepods. There is a refugium behind my tank, and I was always under the impression he got them from there. Was I wrong? I got some of the brine shrimps we feed the clowns as well. I am not sure moving the crabs to the back would help, as the tank is quite small. I put a mason jar in and will put some food in it (but what kind?) in it. Then I'll see if my lfs wants them. I'll take a picture of them tomorrow, if we catch any. I sure hope Bernard (the mandarin) comes back. So sad.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #4

Holy smokes, we just found a fifth one. Did some looking up online and they look like they might be gorilla crabs. Not cool. I won't be able to sleep now... Yuck. Gotta get them out I suppose.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

mmm a picture of the setup might help. By putting the crabs in the back i meant if you had a separate compartment in the back of the tank...bringing them to the LFS is fine too though. Definitely post pics if you catch any

If the mandarin ate copepods then the previous owner was probably buying them and adding some to the tank since mandarins eat a lot, do you see any bugs in your refugium? Mandarins usually need a larger tank since they eat so much. I have one in my 28 nano but she eats frozen foods very well and i also have a lot of amphipods in my tank. Did you notice that your mandarin looked skinny at all? Also brine shrimp is not very good for your fish, it is more of a treat. I would look into buying some mysis shrimp and blood worms, both come in the frozen cubes.

I hope you find bernard..mandarins are great fish, specially when they are eating frozen foods haha
Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

crabs are so gross...i dont like putting my hand in the tank when i know there is a crab lurking..creeps me out. Do they have the black tips?? Usually black tipped ones are bad I'm pretty sure
Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #7

Yeah they are gross. Black tips, hairy and red eyes. Yuck. Hoping we catch these buggers tonight. If not the rocks will have to come apart and we'll hunt them for their dear lives. Still sucks about little Bernard though. I'll post pictures of the whole thing tomorrow. Thanks for your help and support
Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Unless a mandarin is eating prepared foods it will starve in less than a 75 gallon tank that has ~100# or more of LR and a healthy pod population.

Unless you won recently won the PowerBall or MegaMillions it would be difficult to buy enough pods to keep a mandarin alive in a 28.

I have also been hearing reports of mandarins that were known to eat prepared foods at the lfs, stop doing so in the home aquarium.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you catch anything?? I forgot to mention any kind of food will work really, just some brine or flakes at the bottom and they should go right in!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Yup. We caught one overnight. My husband's trap worked. I'll post a picture next. He's pretty big.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com