mandarin goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohsnapzitzmeng

Aquarium Advice Newbie
just recently bought a 2"-3" mandarin and wasnt sure the best way to feed it... i do have SOME pods but not sure if enough.. i also do have a sailfin, scooter blenny, algae blenny, etc that competes to eat the brine shrimp i throw in... any suggestions?

You will need to have a prolific pod producing fuge or purchase large quantities of pods regularly to keep it fed. These are one of the most common fish that are starved to death in aquaria. Your blenny will compete directly with it. I'd seriously reconsider keeping them both in the same system. How long has this tank been up?

...also how big of a tank with how many pounds of live rock? Keep an eye out for a sunken in belly because it may happen. I doubt it will touch brine shrimp. I tried to have one when I had my 75-gallon with 80lbs of LR and that wasn't enough. I would occasionaly purcahse pods but the belly still sunk in, then I retruned it before it would dye.

Id say there is slim to no chance of the mandarin surviving in the 29-gallon, you couldnt have enough live rock in there, unless it was hooked up to a refugium that is bigger than the display. When you go to take the mandarin back, take the Sailfin Tang with you too. That is another fish that has no chance in that small of a tank. Its a shame the lfs sold you either of those fish knowing the tank size. Its just a beginers mistake. A good LFS will give you store credit for the fish. Please do the right thing.

I have to agree, as well as the scooter, they both tend to be all day grazers on pods. My scooter was eating frozen and pods but only lasted about 6-8 months in my 55.

I need to agree with the prior advice. Your LFS should ne ver have sold those to you. Way too small a tank.

Just cant say it enought a 29 gallon is WAY to small for a fish like that.. 75 gallon MINNIUM

Back
Top Bottom