Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mandarin Goby

I really want one of these and I just set up a 55 gal aqarium. All of the sand and LR is from a guy who had a 120 gallon tank that was up for about two years. I was wondering if my tank will support the goby. When i look at the tank at night it is crawling with hundreds of pods all over the rocks and also the little red worms. What do u guys think?

Old 01-31-2005, 02:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well...the rule on mandarins is not in a small tank, and not in a new tank.

Based on your observation of lots of copepods and the fact that you inherited mature sand and rock, it sounds like your tank is more mature than it's actual age. Hundreds...hmmm...let's hope you have way more than that.

55 gallon? Probably OK, IMO.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with Brad, they are always a crap shoot. Your tank is on the border of a workable system for this fish. IMO I would give it a year or so to mature and then it may work.
Just my .002 cents.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably a good idea to wait on the Mandarin for a while and focus on the tank you already have until that gets situated. Once you get some more experience and the 55g gets established, you could do it.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I say wait also. I waited about 11 months, and my Mandarin is getting to be a little cow. Even after 11 months, I was still nervous about getting him, but he was wasting away in a lfs. Time will fly, and before you know it you will be sure your tank can support him.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Not a great fish for a Beginner. And your tank is kinda small...

I am worried that there may be alot of pods now, but Is there a big enough population to support the mandrin over time?

I would wait a while and get some experence first.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much LR do you have? I've talked to people who had 120 gallons, but little LR. But you can give it time. Let them multipy for awhile, and then add one. It doesn't take long for the pods to multipy.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It doesn't take long for the pods to multipy.
It also doesn't take long for a fish like a Mandarin to deplete that supply in an aquarium. The recommended minimum is a 100lbs+ LR, and a 75+ gal. tank that is mature. Even though your using materials from an established tank, your tank will still need some time to settle and mature. I'd wait and do ALOT of research. FWIW, I would not put one in a 55, plus all those pods it's eating could instead be contributing to your clean-up crew. Just my .02cents
Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok cool i really want one that is one of the reasons i started this tank. I love the way they look!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
they are beautiful, but there are a ton of other really amazing fish that may be better for a beginner. Start with those guys and see how you feel about the mandrin later.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goby, mandarin, mandarin goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com