Mandarin Goby Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These must be live pods! I would also research culturing a pod population separate from your tank as well!
If he is grazing at the top there are no pods for him to feed on! I would also read up on how to train it to eat frozen brine shrimp!

Even if you started cultivating pods now, by the time you have a good supply the madarin will be starved or even dead. I made a mistake and got one and was buying pods every week and he still died. You're best bet is to give it to someone who has a mature tank (more than a year old with a lot of live rock). They are relatively cheap and you can always get another one later on.

Sorry if we are treating you like a newbie, but you bought a fish having no idea what they eat or how to prepare for!
Maybe if you had mentioned the tank has been running for years we would not ask these questions

I think the secret is to get them to eat a high calorie diet. Copepods are not very nutritious, thats why they need to eat thousands. Live white worms can be fed as well as stuff like small prawn eggs and flying fish eggs, available at Asian grocery stores and on line. All of these are loaded with nutrition and will keep a mandarins fat. They are also sustainable, which pods aren't always.

Last edited:
I have both a green mandarin and spotted (target) which both feed well on frozen lobster eggs and are now eating pellets which surprised me- the brand is Ocean Nutrition Formula One Marine Pellet. That doesn't mean it will work for others as I haven't heard of anyone having this experience-only mine which is not documented so no one blast me for sharing.. I have owned my target for 12 mths and he is fat and healthy. I lost a green when I was overseas last year and bought another a few months back ONLY as I was advised it was raised on frozen mysis shrimp ( I feed this in combo with the lobster eggs). After I bought him I noticed both were eating the pellets too and more readily coming to the front of the tank as well to get their share. Otherwise I target feed the frozen foods while distracting the other tank mates.

I am raising white worms now and stashing roe. I want to retry a mandarin and a copperband using this feeding regime and forgetting about depending solely on pods.

I'm going to set up a special needs tank for finicky eaters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom