Mandarin Goby Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!
I picked up a nice mandarin goby today at the LFS and figured he was just as easy to take care of as a regular goby. But then heard something about feeding him nano plankton and extra additives.

Please give me any info on care
Thanks

I have a 165g tank with a bunch of Liverock and two 250W 14K halides.

Only have a small lawnmower blenny in the tank now.

They eat copepods only! They can be trained to eat frozen, but that is not easy! Mine eats frozen brine shrimp! He started by eating off my sun coral and now will pick at it floating on the bottom of the tank

Very nice tank by the way! How long has it been running?

How should I buy these Pods?
My mandarin was starting to graze at the top this morning. ?

This tank in particular has been setup for 3 weeks but all the live sand,Liverock and 100g of the water came from my old tank

Help needed asap

return it. it doesn't look like your tank has enough pods population to sustain for extended period of time. do you have a sump/refugium by the way?

if so, you can purchase some pods from your lfs and seed your refugium with it along with rubbles and algae to provide food and shelter for the pods.

What is seeding?

seeding means introducing stuffs into your tank so that they can grow. in this case, you would be introducing pods into your refugium to allow the pods to grow and repopulate. the more pods there are, the happier your goby will be.

IMHO your best bet is return it and let your tank mature for 9 months to a year and try again. Once your tank is mature you should be able to support one assuming you don't have any other fish that rely on a pod population as a primary food source. Mandis are a beautiful fish but require very mature/stable systems. Also most online coral vendors will sell pods

Your fish store should have pods in a bottle. Buy a couple bottles and dump them in the sump. They will make it from the sump to the display. You will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom