Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2004, 05:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
i think some of you might be over-sensitive
8)

Old 06-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I don't have a mandarin but I have 2 scooter dragonets. I must be lucky because both of them have taken a liking to the angelfish preparation I feed my Maculosus.
Of course I need to target feed them, they are way to slow to compete with the angel and my Yellow tang. That combined with the pods in my tank, they seem to get plenty.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurdOfCychlidz
i think some of you might be over-sensitive
8)
To what degree would you propose that rudeness may be used in place of courtesy, ScurdofCychlidz?

We don't come here to get slammed. That happens enough during the day.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapcrackler
The response from THIS thread that generated the hurt feelings was by Cleantank who said this:

Quote:
"The mangarin's going to die alway, so why not let him be harassed!!! But to answer
your question, probably not. "
Ironically, Cleantank's signature says:

Quote:
"Listen before you speak and see the good in every situation."
I realize that it might not have been the best answer, but please folks, lets not get any further into this on the forum. At the top of each post is a button labeled "report". If you see a post that you think violated the user agreement or is in poor taste, click the report button and it will be reviewed by the staff. If you see something you think is a serious problem, contact fishfreek or reefrunner. But lets keep the forums friendly and fish related.
This one is about Mandarin Dragonets (which was a good catch on the proper name by snapcrackler 8) ) Both of these fish, the Scooter and the Mandarin depend on live foods to survive long term. According to Robert Fenner, most don't live more than a month after capture due to lack of proper foods. Also, according to Fenner, although they may take prepared foods, they can not live solely on this diet. According to what I have read about these fish, 30g is the absolute minimum that will sustain them and that assumes a well established reef tank with a refugium and no other fish that will interfere with the dragonets feeding. A well populated reef tank should be at least 150g to support a dragonet. I have a Scooter in a 180 reef that has been doing well for about 6 months now. How long have you had your scooters, quarryshark, and have you noticed them hunting for pods?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had them since December, they are doing just fine and eat very well. I do target feed them daily. The larger fish are just too fast for them.
I watch them a lot, they are probably the most interesting fish in my tank. They constantly pick the sand I assume in search of pods.
When I clean out my polyfilter, I always have a dozen or so pods caught in it. I gather them up and drop them back in the tank. My scooters are all over them in a matter of second.
So far no problem with them. I didn't know until after I purchased them, all the problem associated with them. So I probably give them more attention because of this. Actually I think I have a male and a female. They are always together and the larger one lately is "showing off" to the smaller. He will jump in front of her and flare up his fins doing a little "dance". I assume this is a courtship ritual.
I just order this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4305587266
With the hopes of beefing up my pod population some more. Am also going to evict one of my sand sifting stars to help keep the pod population up.
Great fish, I really enjoy them.
But I would not suggest them for someone unless they are commited to properly care for them and have a large enough tank with a good pod population.
Here is a pic of the larger (male I think).
Old 06-12-2004, 12:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to jennymit21
he's sooo adorable. i love them b/c they have such personalities. i recently went to the boston aquarium (visiting my family) and fell in love (sigh) someday when i have the funds i will finally get my reef tank sorrry about hijacking the thread.... just wanted to comment on the cute lil guy.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, he is a sweetheart. First up to the glass when I come to the tank. No matter where is is, he always makes his way over and will swim up and down the front, kinda like saying "hi".
Old 06-12-2004, 01:08 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

The Scooter in the 180 has a similar personality. Everyone who sees him usually has the same comment...something along the lines of "He's so cute!". Anyway, perhaps others can add their comments or experiences with these fish...either Scooters or Mandarins. The best way to avoid disappointing experiences with fish that have special needs to to get the info out there.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganj
The Scooter in the 180 has a similar personality. Everyone who sees him usually has the same comment...something along the lines of "He's so cute!". Anyway, perhaps others can add their comments or experiences with these fish...either Scooters or Mandarins. The best way to avoid disappointing experiences with fish that have special needs to to get the info out there.
Agree, this is a good thread. They are cool, but do require some work. Do you target feed yours?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:40 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Nope, he gets whatever scraps fall to the bottom + whatever pods he can round up. I tried dropping some carnivore pellets in for him at one time...they were too large for the scooter and the hermits were faster than he was anyway. The tank he's in has a good population of pods though.

Tags
damsel, damsels, goby, mandarin, mandarin goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com