Mandarin owners - do you see pods on your glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is over a year old, lightly stocked, I've got about 175lbs-ish of live rock in a 110 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump - about 12 gallons of which is a fuge with rock rubble and chaeto (about 7 months mature). I tried a mandarin about 7 months ago before I added the sump/fuge and I returned him when he began to get a little skinny. I didn't want to wait. I tried again and this one seems plumper and healthier.

Now, I see pods on my glass in my fuge and ocassionally on the glass in my main tank but not very often in the main. I'm not sure if that should be a concern.

Do other owners of healthy green mandarins actually see pods on the glass in the main? I hardly ever do, and the number I see on the glass in my fuge has definitely decreased.

- Skins

actually see pods on the glass in the main?
No indeed. If a mandarin is in there, I'm sure they're living among the rocks. Besides, you don't want to see pods on your main glass - it'd be annoying I think. Like roaches or something IMO.

Sounds like you're doing absolutely fine on this. Well stocked fuge. 175lbs of rock. Believe me, you got plenty of pods in your main. Also from time to time, when cleaning prefilters and such, use a bucket so you can gather some in there. Dump'm back in the main and watchm, scurry towards the rocks.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm overly nervous about it, I know.

I was going to wait even longer, and I really wanted a male, but this one was eating frozen mysis at the pet store (I called shenanigans on the worker when he told me he ALWAYS gets them eating frozen, so he let me watch her eat). I snatched her up after she grabbed the 3rd piece right out of the water column, but in my system she doesn't seem very interested in frozen foods. I'll just keep an eye on her weight.

Thanks again.

- Skins

Yup, definitely doing good on this. Obviously the pods have had enough time to establish themselves and breed by the hundreds.

I see pods in all of my saltwater tanks except the 55 gallon, just too bright in there (white sand, white lighting, etc.) and there's just some old live rock in there. The person who had it last ( got it from my cousin's ex-boyfriends for free) didn't take the best care of it so the pods probably just died.

All my other tanks have practically 3 pounds of macro so there's pods, little bug things (? haven't looked em' up yet),worms, feather dusters, and little starfish. My seahorse sure does love to swim around and pluck them off the rock!

Cool.

So, basically, if I see a couple on the glass in the main they're probably infesting the rocks and sand? Good to know.

I've noticed that during the day in my main tank, pods are are rarely ever seen. At night however, I see them everywhere- scurrying all over the rocks. You've probably got plenty, try taking a look after the lights have been out for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom