Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mandarin settling in...

Any mandarin owners out there - mine has been in the tank for about a month. The first couple weeks he was all over my rocks (have about 160lbs with plenty of pods - that's not a problem) picking at food. He even picks at frozen mysis every now and then. But, lately he has found his favorite corner and kind of swims around there all day...sits on the sand, and he only occasionally picks at rocks now.

Do most mandarins spend ALL day looking for food as mine did at first - or do they settle in after consuming so much at first? Mine was pretty skinny when I got him - still kind of is. Just curious if his decreased feeding is normal.

- Skins

Old 01-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

mine still picks all the time but I feed him cultured pods so its a different kind of setup (I plan when he gets fed).

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not overly concerned because I do have lots of pods, but it seems odd that he's still skinny and isn't too interested in the rocks anymore.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive had mine for about a year now and he is still cruising around the who tank usually with his female friend mine are nice a fat give it some time
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have had mine for a year, he cruises all over eating all day, but still didnt get fat. he eats frozen mysis every other day and pods in between time. i dont know why he is not getting fat though. def eats plenty

steve r
Old 01-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Both of mine are constantly on the prowl. I've never seen them eat anything I've put in the tank. Both are healthy and growing. I've had them for 7 months and 9 months now (didn't see the one for a couple of months so I got another one).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Usually they somewhat slow down but yes they usually do constantly look for pods on rocks.

Pods are so small and they need a lot of them to get fulls o they have to almost constantly look for them.

Good luck with it!

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com