Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I personally wouldn't try one without having a dedicated pod culture, especially in a tank that small. The size of the tank directly limits the pod population, through lack of food for copepods to feast on and lack of real estate.



I would get a large copepod culture up and running for multiple months that you could easily pull from on a regular basis before trying one. That way it won't matter if the tank can sustain enough pods for him and it won't be a lost cause if he decides that he hates frozen foods.

+1


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Carey's mandarin starved FYI. She no longer recommends keeping them last I heard. And she really worked at it.
Maybe we are talking about different Carey's;

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Best way to keep a mandarin to have them eat frozen food or pellets. I purchased an ORA mandarin, they are supposed to eat pellets. Mine did not, but after a month of intense feeding several times a day by target feeding my mandarin took to some frozen. It took a few more years but mine now eats pellets. ...
Even now, years later i still overfeed, cause it is possible for a mandarin to go back to pods only at any time.

and other posts would indicate that she had it for at least a couple-three years and that it definitely wasn't starving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
And a statement that a certain type hob or refugium will never get eaten out of pods by a mandarin is a bit general. They can eat thousands after thousands and wipe out a pod population quickly.
wrong, if the main pod population is segregated from the fish, as in a refugium or divided tank as the OP is thinking, then please explain to me HOW the fish is going to eat ALL the pods????

is the fish going to use a ladder to climb over it?
__________________

__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Maybe we are talking about different Carey's;




and other posts would indicate that she had it for at least a couple-three years and that it definitely wasn't starving.



wrong, if the main pod population is segregated from the fish, as in a refugium or divided tank as the OP is thinking, then please explain to me HOW the fish is going to eat ALL the pods????

is the fish going to use a ladder to climb over it?
Its not that the fish will eat ALL the pods, but demolish the population to a point where there aren't enough to keep it fed.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
We really have no way of knowing with out trying it. I would start a culture as a back-up. So if it doesn't work out, you can still keep it alive and fat.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Mandarin setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Maybe we are talking about different Carey's;




and other posts would indicate that she had it for at least a couple-three years and that it definitely wasn't starving.



wrong, if the main pod population is segregated from the fish, as in a refugium or divided tank as the OP is thinking, then please explain to me HOW the fish is going to eat ALL the pods????

is the fish going to use a ladder to climb over it?



Sorry PB, but your info is wrong I believe. Carey also stated in the same post;

"This is undoubtably the hardest fish I have to keep. Not sure i would do it over again if given the chance."

During that time if you read the post she stated she practically ruined her water quality by over feeding in attempts to keep the mandarin alive.

Carey worked hard to keep her mandarin, it stopped eating prepared foods as I remember the story and reverted to pods again when she lost it. Or it stopped eating, I don't remember. Contact her, she has posted several times about her mandarin efforts. This happens to the a great number of dragonets sold. Carey is as as dedicated as it comes and as I remember she was sad when he died.

As to eating all the pods, then starving, you can can call up many posts that report this problem as others on this thread have indicated. You have to get lucky and not get a finicky one. Otherwise a mandarin will eat whatever pods the system can supply and are not eaten by faster fish. And if that's not enough and the refugium can't keep up, it will starve. They have a short gut and must eat constantly.

Your sarcasm was noted, maybe not meant.

Just as I said, it can be done, just please don't tell the OP it's a piece of cake because it isn't. This can be a very needy fish. I sold them for years and my bet is one in five live over a year.

I messaged Carey and asked her to join the thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Holygral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
if the pods are segregated from the mandarin they will reach a sustainable population.
uhmm, isn't that the idea behind those extortionately priced HOB or in-tank refugiums? Growing pods is ALWAYS one of the uses recommended for them in all the advertising/descriptions.

You certainly can add other foods to the mix and gradually get them to take frozen.
How in the world do you think it is done otherwise?
Countless people have had great success doing this, including folks on this site. I think Carey said she had one for many, many years.

Throwing down such absolutes concerning what can or can not be done or how any animal is going to act isn't the wisest thing.
I can understand people often reply with the assumption that the person asking the question just starting keeping fish last Wednesday, but the OP certainly knows what he is doing and the obstacles involved with keeping species such as mandarins (otherwise he wouldn't have gone to the trouble he already has, now would he ), he was just asking for OPINIONS about the idea.
If you research the topic you will find that the OP is doing it in one of the best fashions possible if a person is going to try to keep mandarins, a species specific tank with segregated area for pods so they DO NOT get wiped out.

Sorry for coming off so harsh to you and sorry to the mods, but seriously, why are telling him it CAN"T be done when you have no way of knowing that it won't work and numerous people have had good success with them.

Advice is considering the particular situation and offering your ideas concerning it, not just handing off final proclamations.

And I offered my opinion and that was and still is it can't be done. My 125 g was up and running for 5 years and had a 30g fuge, the tank has 100 pounds of lr and no other pod eaters. So after 5 years I got my first mandarin, but after 5-6 weeks I started to notice that my pod population was a tenth of what it was before. So every 3-4 weeks I bought 2000 pods for months, but it still wasn't enough to keep him fed, and he eventually died. And that is the only fish that I ever lost. And I tried to wean him to other foods but as long as their is pods they will starve to death hunting for them. So with my experiences, I will stick to my opinion that he can't be done in a small tank.
__________________
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Just as I said, it can be done, just please don't tell the OP it's a piece of cake because it isn't. This can be a very needy fish. I sold them for years and my bet is one in five live over a year.
Wow, I hope all of you understand that nowhere did I say "it is a piece of cake" I simply pointed out that they can be kept and that the OP was approaching it with one of the better set-ups for this type of fish. I did say that he would have to wean the fish onto frozen foods, didn't I?

The biggest complaint I have with this forum and some of the more prolific and then supposedly more experienced members are all the "you can't do that" type of answers when more often than not a person can do whatever it is, as well as the arrogance that often accompanies such replies, this topic being a perfect example.

Just because it may be a challenge the OP should just forget about it?
Guess I should have discouraged all those people coming into my store trying to keep corals alive 30-40 years ago because it's too challenging and mine died when I tried it, so there is no way anyone else could do it.
Hmm, I wonder where the reef keeping hobby would be now?
So what are you folks saying concerning the OP's fishkeeping abilities?
Kinda insulting, don't ya think?
(Trying to illustrate a point here, hope it isn't lost on all of you)

Sure mandarins are tricky, but I don't recall seeing any posts blasting Carey for trying or any other long time members who have also tried to keep mandarins. In all the many post by Carey concerning her mandi, I did not once see anyone tell her not to do it because they will just die, or chastising her when it did die, all were very supportive of her efforts, hmmmm.


honestly, in a nutshell all I said was if he was going to do it, he is off on the right foot by doing a species specific tank and segregating the pod population, I never made any promise or guarantee of success.
So tell me....am I wrong?

I don't think so.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Mandarin setup

You are wrong in saying anyone blasted anyone. We have opinions too. I actually sold my LFS because of my disgust in killing so many beautiful animals because my customers read somewhere you can keep a tang in a 10 gallon. And that article they read had to be right...

These are special needs fish.

At what point do you say; I am sick of throwing away beautiful fish because I didn't listen to anyone? I reached that point years ago and now my rule is if I can't raise it to it's full life span, I'm not collecting it.

I guess experimentation did get us to where we are today. A hobby that is under incredible scrutiny because environmentalists don't see any advantage in letting us wild collect organisms, some scarce, to only kill in our aquariums. I don't see it that way, but I am in the hobby.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
You are wrong in saying anyone blasted anyone. We have opinions too. I actually sold my LFS because of my disgust in killing so many beautiful animals because my customers read somewhere you can keep a tang in a 10 gallon. And that article they read had to be right...

These are special needs fish.

At what point do you say; I am sick of throwing away beautiful fish because I didn't listen to anyone? I reached that point years ago and now my rule is if I can't raise it to it's full life span, I'm not collecting it.

I guess experimentation did get us to where we are today. A hobby that is under incredible scrutiny because environmentalists don't see any advantage in letting us wild collect organisms, some scarce, to only kill in our aquariums. I don't see it that way, but I am in the hobby.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yup, we do all have opinions.
If someone states that a mandarin can not be kept in a ten gallon tank they are stating opinion, not fact.
I always take issue whenever opinion is offered as solid fact.
Fact of the matter is that a mandarin can be kept in a tank that size.
Is it going to be easy? No
Is there a high probability of failure? Yes
Does the OP at least understand these things? Yes, it appears so based on the information they have provided.

There are many different methodologies that work in this hobby, so more often than not there is no clear YES or NO answer, there are yes and no answers with caveats and conditions, just as there are when dealing with any natural phenomena.


I am 100% with you about some animals should not be sold, with mandarin and similar types on the cusp of being able to be kept.
Actually almost got into an argument with the owner of lfs two days ago because I told him he had too many big fish and that he needed to donate the two lanceolatus groupers he had in tanks that were no more than 24" and the fish were easily 18"-20", they could not even turn around, I'm considering reporting him.

and again, nowhere did I say it was easy as cake, only that IF he was going to try, he is at least approaching it from the correct perspective and is mindful of the special needs of the fish, wouldn't you agree?
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
I would tend to agree. I am just cautious as I have heard this too many times. Bucking the odds is no problem except for the fish.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mandarin, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunrise/Sunset/Moonlight setup for non-LED setup? Fishmutt Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 06-29-2012 11:48 AM
intorducing female mandarin to a male mandarin Sergie Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 02-08-2012 11:16 PM
Help! Green Spot Mandarin(Target Mandarin) Seahorse Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 3 10-07-2010 10:37 AM
55 gal filter setup & CO2 setup Codefox Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 8 01-10-2006 10:59 AM
mandarin / psychedelic fish saltcreep1025 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 07-29-2003 09:48 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.