Mandarin Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've had my mandarin for almost 6 months and he's doing great even eating frozen when I give it to him but my pod population in my refugium is absolutely MASSIVE at this point so decided to give him a few days in there to enjoy some easy hunting :)

I read they may resort back to pods and have to be retrained to eat prepared foods. Hopefully this isn't the case. He looks happy enough in there tho.

I never tried to train him to eat frozen just found out one day when I noticed him eyeing up my dropper as I was feeding so gave it a shot haha

Oh, I got it, you are one of the lucky few lol. I am not speaking from experience, I have always wanted one. I am afraid of the outcome haha.

Just for my own information. How much LR do you keep on you DT?

About 60 lbs in my 46 gallon bowfront and about 15 lbs in my 8ish gallon fuge

I wouldn't keep him in refuge too long. That tank is a place to sustain your pod population. He could wipe it out In a week. Get him in display and utilize refuge for pod production. They will end up in display thru you return pump.

Mpfaff77 said:
I wouldn't keep him in refuge too long. That tank is a place to sustain your pod population. He could wipe it out In a week. Get him in display and utilize refuge for pod production. They will end up in display thru you return pump.

Wouldn't the pump "hack" them up?

Readingexcalibur said:
Wouldn't the pump "hack" them up?

I would say no. Maybe a big amphipod would get killed. But small Copepods I am sure would make thru impeller. Another way to transfer pods is at night by placing rocks from refuge in display every once in while. Or have a pod bundle that you switch out once in while. All it is is rock inside a plastic gutter guard zip tied together.

Mpfaff77 said:
I would say no. Maybe a big amphipod would get killed. But small Copepods I am sure would make thru impeller. Another way to transfer pods is at night by placing rocks from refuge in display every once in while. Or have a pod bundle that you switch out once in while. All it is is rock inside a plastic gutter guard zip tied together.

Yea i have heard of this being done. They but it in the fuge for a little while and let the pods climb on in. Then they drop them in the DT and it supplies pods to the DT for the dragonette

Yup. Very easy to make as well as cheap. I usually leave the bundle in my display for few days at a time every month or so.

Sponges work better for pod transfer and I understand all this but he's not gonna effect my population enough to hurt it he's just there for a treat :)

Mrc8858 said:
Sponges work better for pod transfer and I understand all this but he's not gonna effect my population enough to hurt it he's just there for a treat :)

Sponges would work. But you be surprised how many Pods they can eat in a day. Hunting 18 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom