Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I couldn't find the article I was referring to but I found another that is similar
hope it helps guide you through the training it has some good pointers,

Ľ Mark Martin on Feeding Mandarinfish
Resources Mark Martin on Feeding Mandarinfish
Mark Martin is the Direct of Marine Ornamental Research at Blue Zoo Aquatics
Mandarinfishes are some of the most attractive fish in the hobby, but all too often people purchase them not understanding their very specific husbandry needs—especially when it comes to feeding. This week, I therefore want to talk about some tips, tricks and strategies for feeding mandarinfishes that are already weaned onto a captive diet, especially in a crowded aquarium
One approach I really like is to soak frozen or freeze-dried Cyclopeeze in RO water. Once it has soaked, then use a pipette (or even a narrow turkey baster) to place the liquefied food into the crevices of the live rock at the bottom of the tank in places where there is low flow. Because mandarinfishes are near-constant foragers, they will naturally find the trapped food and consume it without being as easily out-competed by other fishes.
Another trick is one that came to me by way of Mathew Wittenrich and Mark Levensen. Again, this approach is great for feeding mandarins in tanks where they may have lots of competition. Essentially, the food—mysids, Cyclopeeze, Blue Zoo Mix, etc.—is placed in a small jar that is then sunk in the aquarium. This will allow the mandarinfishes to forage relatively undisturbed.
These two tricks can work wonders on feeding mandarinfishes that are already weaned onto a captive diet in crowded reef tanks. If the mandarinfish is not yet weaned onto a captive diet, Matt Wittenrich suggests the following approach as published in Blue Zoo News’ species spotlight article on green mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus):
“Spotted mandarins (S. picturatus) are usually ready feeders and require little weaning to get their attention with frozen mysid shrimp,” he says. “Often, spotteds will pick frozen fare from the water column like a butterfly.” Green mandarinfish are somewhat more difficult to wean and require more patience on the part of the aquarist, but they are, in Wittenrich’s experience, well within the reach of the dedicated aquarist.
“The best method I have seen to wean green mandarins was put forth by Matt Pedersen,” Wittenrich says. “He puts newly acquired specimens in a breeder box, feeds them enriched live brine and slowly starts introducing frozen brine and mysids to the regime. Once the mandarins begin accepting the frozen fare, the live stuff is slowly removed from the diet.” Wittenrich feeds Piscince Energetics mysids exclusively to his mandarins. “They love it,” he says, “usually with little weaning.”
Published 22 September 2008. © Blue Zoo Aquatics

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It took a whole month of target feeding like every kind of frozen food to get my mandarin eating. BUT he was an ora one so he had a head start I think. I also had a refugium which helped him survive while he was being weaned onto frozen. This was done in a 29g biocube with a good amount of live rock and the tank was about 9 months old. It CAN be done, but mine started out kinda fat and since yours is looking a little thin it might not have the time it takes to wean onto prepared.

I lost my mandy a few months ago as well, after a few years of loving it to death! it didnt take to a tank transfer well at all and just died on me one day. Very sad day. I treasure the time I had him and most likely wont try another one as I dont think I will have the same luck with one.

Good luck with yours, I;d give him another week or so and if nothing then bring him back. Hopefully he isnt too far gone, once they start looking thin it usually doesnt turn out too well.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I spend a ton on pods keeping my mandarin from starving. After a year, I saw him swim up into the water column with the rest of the fish and start eating mysis. Never heard of it happening before, but I always say that hunger is the best spice. Though still doing ok, I wouldn't do a mandarin again, viewing it as one of the handful of mistakes I've made in my current system as so much money spent on pods could have been some really nice coral.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you all, this is really inspiring. I'm anxious to start the weaning process.

He's currently very active, I'm assuming that's a good sign; though again, looking a little emaciated. I put about a quarter of a pod bottle in the bottom of the tank (in a bottle with the neck facing sideways, since they swim upwards) and it took about 4-5 hrs for all the pods to vacate into the bottom area of my LR. He disappeared behind the rock during that time, so hopefully he was eating; and my gramma was none the wiser as to what was going on. I'll do it every couple of days until I get a 'weaning tank' set up.

Wish me luck!

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #15

I promised I'd keep you all updated; so I never actually saw him eat, but I gave him frozen brine shrimp (because I couldn't get it locally and was too impatient to order them) and flakes (mixture from LFS) flavored with Kent Garlic Xtreme. For about a week it didn't seem he was eating but then the feces started piling up. I gave it another week and he was still just as spri but I never SAW him eat; but the food was slowly vanishing. So he's been repopulated for about a week now and still very spunky. I haven't added any more trigger pods or any other living pods, crustaceans, etc. and he seems to be doing well. He greets me about half the Times I come to the tank.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403300663548.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	240931   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403300684294.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	240932  

Name:	1403300697330.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	240934  
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #16

More

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1403300766022.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	240938   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403300776081.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	240939  

Name:	1403300786839.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	240940  
Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

He looks pretty skinny, you should try some other foods until you actually see it eat.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Manderin feeding w/gluttonous Gramma

If you can find those tiny live black worms anywhere, they will sometimes take those, prawn eggs and flying fish eggs available at the Chinese grocery is another option . You can also make a feeder (google it) and hatch baby brine. I tried starting a pod farm (thread still online) but had little success. They have a small gut, so they need to eat often to keep their stomachs full. They are super slow and methodical, so any wrasse or similar type will outcompete them.

Tags
feed, feeding, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com