Manderin goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I have one in my tank? Ever since I put in my sump I've had a pod boom. There all over my glass and swimming in my fuge

How big is your tank? Without a tank size of at least 75G and 100+ lbs of LR I would advise against it.

Also, how long has your tank been up for?

75g, 3 inches of live sand, 125 pounds of live rock, 20g sump/fuge with 25 pounds of live rock and live sand.

If you know you have ich why get another fish? You just posted yesterday about it.

I'm not getting it yet, I'm waiting a few weeks to see how everything goes. Plus I'm investing in live rock.

iDream said:
If there were no major setbacks like a tank crash or something similar then I'd actually give the go ahead for once.

When purchasing one make sure it's belly isn't sunken in, it's too late for it then. Watch it in your tank to make sure it's looking good, etc.

Here's a good read for you too: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f28/mandarins-are-they-really-a-difficult-fish-123776.html

Thanks, vary helpful, someone in that post said they can't get ick? Is this true?

The person who wrote that article is a very knowledgable person and I trust their opinion very much, but always be cautious.

If you have ich and lost your livestock I would consider that a major setback. After leaving your tank to fallow for 6-8 weeks don't let him be one of the first fish you add.

My fish died in the qt tank due to my mom using windex, found that out the other day.

If you know you have ich why get another fish? You just posted yesterday about it.

Mardarins are not known to get ick especially if it' present in your tank- They have a protected coating that fights some types of parasites like Ick- I know they can have an internal parasites since I had one die for no apparent reason. IMO- I wouldn't worry about it obtaining Ick.

Or they can carry it? Sorry I just woke up so I'm really slow right now

From reading on other sites and personal experience they can not get ick because of a protected slime coat they have I don't know if anyone has taken one out of the tank before but it will slime up pretty good which tells me that they are protected in some way. I still think that they may get an internal parasite unless I am wrong- but I know for a fact that they are not acceptable to ick. HTH

Back
Top Bottom