Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My mandarin eats frozen foods, mostly brine shrimp.
Brine shrimp is almost 100% water and is considered "potato chips" of reef food. You can improve this by soaking it in Selcon or something similar. If it takes brine shrimp, have you ever tried Sweetwater Zooplankton? This would be much more nutritious as on the brine alone it is still at risk for starving.

If one cannot add a ton of liverock, another option would be to add a gravity fed refugium to their system. Stock this with macroalgae and you have a perfect copepod farm safe from predators. I would ensure this was very populated before adding the mandarin....and would still not put them in a smaller tank as they feed all day long.

Old 05-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

puffers eat shrimp

Old 05-27-2003, 12:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
I have had my mandarin for 4 months, and hes not touched brine or flake yet. But he is constantly nipping at everything in the tank.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to USMCTAT2
I had a mandarin years ago or at least til the great power outage of 95 and he ate brine also he outlived everybody in there til the house got too cold for we to stay and try to save him we were without power for about 12 days 8)
Old 06-07-2003, 01:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bill1977
I have a 55 gallon reef with 70lbs of LR. It has been set up for about 5 months now and I have had a manderin goby for about 3 months and it is doing great.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:06 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1977
I have a 55 gallon reef with 70lbs of LR. It has been set up for about 5 months now and I have had a manderin goby for about 3 months and it is doing great.
Does your mandarin take prepared foods? Some do. I have been looking for one in the LFS that does for some time, I've seen them in the past, but not now that I'm looking for one

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 55 gallon marine tank that i keep a clown and a gobi in. I have about 50 pounds or more of live rock in my tank, which my gobi does pick over, however, it readily accepts live brine shrimp. I've watched mine take down twenty little shrimp in a single feeding, but usually stops eating after about ten per feeding. I feed a home made reef food along with live brine shrimp 3 time per day.
Good luck.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good work, reefer!! If you will look to the left, at my avatar, you will see my pride and joy. He eats brine, blood worms, and veggies as well. All the while constantly picking over the microfauna in my 50-ish pounds of LR. I do not have a deep SB but it does support numerous little critters/worms/copepods. He is probably the best fed fish in my tank (true percula, black percula, dragon gobi, Pajama cardinal). Mine is a psychedelic mandarin, which probably shouldn't make a difference. I would just be careful to not pit him in with some mean fish. I keep a 1.023 Salt, 82 degree environment for him, and I'll swear that he is the healthiest in my tank. Good luck with it, I love mine!!

Tags
goby, puffer, puffers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com