Mangrove placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a mangrove today for my fuge.... I'm wondering how much of it should be in the water and how much should be out........

Also any suggestions about keeping under control would be nice too...

TIA

it really dont matter much ! ive had them grow leaves underwater and stretch out of the tank !
just keep cutting off leaves as it grows to large you will be ok !

just another fyi ! i wouldnt grow them in a glass tank! they are trees and the roots get very very long ! will ruin a tank over time

scuba_steve said:
just another fyi ! i wouldnt grow them in a glass tank! they are trees and the roots get very very long ! will ruin a tank over time

What would you grow them in? How do the roots ruin a glass tank?

grow them in a 5 gallon bucket or acrylic tank ! the roots will work there way between the glass and silicone causing it to leak :)
or ya could place a deep plastic dish in the tank ! and clip the roots when they grow out of it :)

Thanks, I bought a container at Target today to place in my Sump to Grow mangrove and use as a small fuge.

that's funny... I got my containert at Target too..... hope you got a clear one... it makes it alot easier to look at pods......

I ended up getting the same one as in the Auto-top off thread. (I WOULD GIVE A LINK, BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW.) It seems to be the only one of the correct size to fit. :mrgreen:

no your fine with acrylic the root needs some type of gap to start growing into which acrylic doesnt have :)
just think how trees get into sewer lines or lift up sidewalks they super strong

Ok, just to make sure...even the partisians, I'm getting a fuge tuesday that has the sections in it to seperate the fuge, the bioballs (which I am not using) and the pump. Will the roots be strong enough to push threw them since they are glued together?

hummmm my guess with that set up is yes over time for sure it would! but could be wrong i know they use weldon which is very strong glue but only would take a small part not glued right for it to push thru ! best to be safe and use a plastic tub !

Tanks doing great, got a mantis problem...but other than that its going great. How bout you? I think I'll get myself a platic tub then, glad I read this post.

yes i added one to my 90 and was going good but added a fuge so wanted it there
well when i pulled it out the main root was around 10" long i was surprised by that !
as for ya mantis if ya know were hes at pull that rock out and flush the hole with some water he will jump out :) what i did with the one i found in my tank i never knew i had !
new tanks (125) up and running added fish last week so happy now light shopping :)

Thats how I caught one. I spent 18.99 on a trap and they aren't interested, but I saw one hunting down a crab and to make a long story short we pulled the rock and after pulling it out it jumped into the bucket we had underneath it. So now I am trying to bait them (I think there are two more, one on each end of the tank) into smaller rocks that can be easily taken out w/o destroying my rockwork (the rock they are in are about 30+lb's each and both on the bottom). Cool, what kind of tank is it going to be?

yea they are smart animals to say the least ! if only they were like cleaners shrimp the only think my trap caught lolol :)

gonna be a reef as soon as i get the lights heheh was a toss between that or for my puffer/grouper but want a nice big reef set up so that won :)

well good luck catching them mantis :)

:lol: I bought one trap and made another with a pop bottle but all I catch is hermits!

Good luck with the reef. The only thing I don't like about having a reef is that I can't have an angelfish. My husband is going to do a lionfish tank and I am hoping he goes big enough to have a large one, but we'll see what the budget allows :lol:

I just picked up a mangrove and stuck it in my tank in some LR. It look shappy.. It's getting too tall though.. How low can I cut the stalk?

Back
Top Bottom