Mangrove Pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just acquired about 30 mangrove pods, and I have a few questions.

Can I grow them in Freshwater, or only saltwater? Are they that helpful for a refugium?

If anyone is interested in some, I'd be happy to ship them over. Just pay for the supplies and shipping.

Mangroves are supposed to be one of the best for removing nitrates. Also, when I got mine, the supplier told me they were already acclimated to SW but that they could, over the course of a few weeks, be acclimated to fw as well. I don't know how true that is but figured I'd throw it out to you anyway. With that many, I'd try both sw and fw and see how they do.

I know it sounds abstract, but I was actually planning on mixing Cow Manure with Saltwater in a 5 gal, hooking it up to an air pump and putting it on my back-porch.

Would this work?

Cow Manure would provide a massive amount of Nitrates for the Mangroves, and would let them grow before I decide what to do with them.

lol I don't see why it wouldn't. Just want to be sure the tops stay out of the water or they will rot. I speak from experience there. Styrofoam works as a nice float/holder to keep them topside.

I have seen wild mangroves growing in North Carolina on the sides of mountains, the water is constantly dripping onto the roots. They can grow anywhere that there is a constant water source.

I think your idea of the cow manure is great! I would love to see some photos when you get it all set up!

I'll absolutely take some photos. I plan on taking photos each week to document the growth. I'll post them in a month or two.

Personally, I can think of many other sources for NO3's without having a tub full of BS on my porch. Not to mention the health issues.

What about tap water, flake food, spent filter media, a shrimp shell, etc.? Then, you don't have to submerge your hands and equipment into a cesspool.

Cow manure is actually quite sanitary due to the fact that it is an herbivore and will settle to the bottom. If you are worried you could wear gloves but I used to spread cow manure with my hands to fertilize a vegetable garden. No ill effects there.

I use Black Cow in my garden, figured I just throw a few cups in a bucket of SW. I'm not too worried about any health issues with that, and I can't imagine a better source of NO3.

I've spent my life in a vegtable gardens with cow manure. Are you talking about composted manure, Scottm? Yes, that's far safer to handle than raw manure but to call it "sanitary" is is quite reckless and rather uninformed - sorry but someone could get seriously sick here. Ask a farm boy how they handle their fertilizers - natural and synthetic. VERY CAREFULLY. Any mechanical distribution is usually done in a full "bunny suit".

As for manure that has not composted, that's plain old foolish. Not to mention if someone's child or pet come in contact with that. It would be no different than untreated sewage. Saw what happened in New Orleans, right? Just trying to save someone from a serious infection, that's all.

When I handle manure (composted only) I keep it low and slow to minimize airborne particles and I wet it down after mixing with soil for the same reason. I then close off my fences so pets and children don't make contact and then, I scrub myself to the shoulder aggressively with soap and water.

The pathogens Salmonella, Listeria & E-coli, as well as parasites, such as roundworms and tapeworms, have been linked to applications of manure to gardens (see the Green-Line). Not to mention dysentery. So please, manure in ANY form is not sanitary and careful considerations need to be applied when considering its use.

Another really simple way to get the nitrate level good for the mangroves would be to make compost out of vegetable scraps you use in cooking. My husband and I have a huge compost pit that eventually just turns into good soil. It might be safer as well.

Back
Top Bottom