Mangrove pods......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering using these in my fuge instead of the traditional macro algea. Has anyone had any experiance using these? Can the substrate be crush coral? TIA! :)

They really need a muddy mix for substrate. It can include crushed coral, but it should also include a rich mineral mud and soft sugary sand, with mixed pieces of coral/shell in it. They are truly beautiful though, once started. But, people have very mixed success with them. Mangroves do not do well with a 24/7 lighted refugium, they need the dark for their growing period. I scored some Miracle Mud from somebody who'd tried the mangroves and had bad luck, so I plan on trying some myself in the 75L sump, but I also plan on having a section partitioned for a "regular" refugium with dsb and macro. I do know that mangrove is more successful if you start with propugules (already started shoots) rather than pods/seeds.

I've had great luck with some mangrove pods. I have a refugium that is lighted at night. There is a 3" sand bed and some small rocks on top of that. I just threw the pods in and they all sprouted. Didn't do anything special. They've all grown very well and taken root in the sand bed. I'm not saying this is the "right" way to do it. Just passing on my experiences.

Back
Top Bottom