Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mangrove setup box thing help

So i would like to "steal" the idea of having the mangroves in a long slender, shallow box like peters fish tank (the giant. One thats more then 1000 gallons). Instead of having it in a seperate room i would like to attatch it to the back of the tank with a pump in the over flow cover feeding water to the mangroves and on the other side a return tube that returns the water back into the tank. I would need roughly a 4 ft long, 3 1/2 wide and fairly shallow box for it. Sorry if it is hard to understand. Here is a picture from peters fish tank of the boxes. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3218992478.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	210311  

Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Why couldn't you use a basic hydroponics setup? That way you could use a timer to flood then uncover the root system just like in a tidal area. Just keep it higher than your sump, then a simple pump could supply it seawater. Remember the leaves have to get soaked in a freshwater shower pretty often.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont have room in the sump. But thats a good idea. How effective are mangroves?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Not very IMO. It's just a cool thing to do. Algae's like chaeto grow far faster, are easier to harvest and tie up nitrogen just fine.

The creative use of Algae's is where it's at for me, my algae scrubber has run over 20 years with no down time. It generates about 5 pounds of wet algae per month. That's a lot of nitrogen products being tied up.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Not very IMO. It's just a cool thing to do. Algae's like chaeto grow far faster, are easier to harvest and tie up nitrogen just fine. The creative use of Algae's is where it's at for me, my algae scrubber has run over 20 years with no down time. It generates about 5 pounds of wet algae per month. That's a lot of nitrogen products being tied up.
Okay so lets say i were to make the trough box thing a fuge. Mainly for the benefit of the macro algae removing nutrients. But if i could have colonies of pods that would be great but not a necessity.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanflower View Post
Okay so lets say i were to make the trough box thing a fuge. Mainly for the benefit of the macro algae removing nutrients. But if i could have colonies of pods that would be great but not a necessity.
That's a good idea. A refugium with algae and a cheap light is all you really need to take advantage of algae nutrient export.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Not very IMO. It's just a cool thing to do. Algae's like chaeto grow far faster, are easier to harvest and tie up nitrogen just fine. The creative use of Algae's is where it's at for me, my algae scrubber has run over 20 years with no down time. It generates about 5 pounds of wet algae per month. That's a lot of nitrogen products being tied up.
I'm going to start a thread about algae scrubbers , and other nitrate removing theories ,
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian wrote the first book on the subject of using algae to treat water. It's nothing new, but I have found it to be the most sustainable method for exporting excess nutrients as I have ever found. No chemicals and like protein skimming it models natures way of cleaning water. Also reduces nuisance algae in the display tank.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
I'm going to start a thread about algae scrubbers , and other nitrate removing theories ,
What is the name, if you have started it
Old 12-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanflower View Post
What is the name, if you have started it
Algae scrubbers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com