Mangroves as filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ow many would I need to dent nitrates and phosphates in a heavily fed 150? I can get them for free and have 44 propagules now. Would that be enough for a decent filter? I want the most natural way possible and I'm already running an ATS and an reef octo NWB 200 but want 1 more filtration method. Would this be enough???

Here's my collection!!!! They'll be fine out of water for like 36 hours right???

Attachments

• image-971285058.jpg
    image-971285058.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 127
Anyone have experience with these or know how many I should use? Any input at all would be appreciated!!!!

I have experience with them not doing very well...I had 5 in my 55 and am now down to 4. Where did you get all of those? Either way, make a setup so they can hang into the water, this will simulate the tide effect and produce the roots mangroves are famous for, or just plant them in sand and they will grow like a normal tree. They will need weened onto normal saltwater salinity or they will get a pruning effect on them. Make sure you can spray the tops with freshwater daily. They also need pretty strong lighting.

I'm at vacation in Florida and I live right next to about 80000 mangrove trees do they drop a lot of these guys. I picked the ones up that weren't rooted cuz I know it's illegal to pull them up. Would having 44 actually help the tank???? I that too many??

I don't have any 1st hand experience b/c I like the easy rout of Macro but my LFS said they also use up mag. to grow so you will need to check your levels. I'm sure some1 could confirm/deny this on here at some point.

I don't have any 1st hand experience b/c I like the easy rout of Macro but my LFS said they also use up mag. to grow so you will need to check your levels. I'm sure some1 could confirm/deny this on here at some point.

Yes they do use up mag. With so few I haven't noticed any difference, but with 40...

Yes they do use up mag. I do 25% changes weekly with reef crystals and 0 sps so I should be fine for awhile. If I twist them 1/4 rotation or 90 degrees every week then they wouldn't strangle eachother right??? And that would also stop them from breaking the glass. I'm correct right? I want to keep them for a long time so how many would you use ??? I would love to use all 44. I could move some into my 20 if the root system gets too large. What would you do?

I'd suspend them and let them grow. It'll be slow going. If you want all of them, power to you for wanting the challenge. I'd def split them among the two tanks.

Ok I'll put them in a big chunk of styrofoam do I can see the roots and float them in the sump. Then I'll put a couple in the DT maybe and some in the 20. Would them being in such large numbers act as a good filter???

By no means am I an expert on this but it is my understanding that mangroves in your fuge for nitrates & phosphates is much less efficient as chaeto or caulepra. I keep one in my fuge just for s.... & giggles but I do know a guy with a very small frag farm business that had about a 150 gal sump/fuge running with about 15 mangroves in the fuge in a DSB. I will ask him next time I see him about it.

Yes your correct that Rey are not as efficient as caulerpa/chaeto. But I had issues with caulerpa flooding things so I'm staying away from things like that and I like mangroves a lot. That's why I got so many. Will having styrofoam in the sump be bad????

And they'll be fine till tomorrow night right??? Out of water I mean. They still look perfect.

My guess they will be fine until tomorrow. You could always pack them in wet towels. Also I use a LED bulb from Home Depot in my fuge and the mangrove seems to be fine

Attachments

• image-1536788693.jpg
    image-1536788693.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom