mantis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpaparazzo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I know this question has been asked before...

I ocassionally hear a click from my aquarium...But to no ends I am not able to find a mantis..I look during th night to see if one is coming out but nothing..The rock was added in sept and since then only 2 red hermits have died..they were out of there shell when i woke up in the morning..

Im guessing I have a mantis..Whats the best way to tell...

Im nervous now that im going to wake up to 75g of water on the floor from this little shrimp!

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it breaking the tank, I think it's more of a myth really. I have a pistol shrimp in my tank that clicks all the time so just because you hear a click doesn tmean it's a mantis. I would hold off on feeding your tank for 2 days or so then drop some meaty food in with the lights off and he should come out to get it. Or, you can build yourself a home made trap with a plastic jug or 2 liter soda bottle. Cut it in half and flip the top around and place some meaty food on the inside. When the mantis goes in pull the container out. Another trap that's easy to build is out of a PCV pipe, get a pipe that is pretty decent in size, cut a few drainage holes in it, cap one end and tie a string to the other. Place a piece of meat in and when he goes in, pull it up out of the tank.
Good luck getting whatever it is. If it is a mantis or pistol somebody is usually anxious to take it off your hands so you don't have to kill it.

ive heard that if you put a normal water bottle leaning up with some food in it then what you are tying to catch will go in and wont be able to climb out because it cant get any traction

Mr. Marine

mrmarine said:
ive heard that if you put a normal water bottle leaning up with some food in it then what you are tying to catch will go in and wont be able to climb out because it cant get any traction

Mr. Marine

I thimk that only works with crabs, the mantis is a shrimp and I believe he could swim out :?:

Back
Top Bottom