Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mantis

Ok, I bought a mantis trap for the mantis I have in my tank, two of them actually. Well it was broken! So today we are having a birthday party for a friend and for some reason these mantis are coming out of the woodwork...which obvouisly put morre people than could fit in front of my fish tank...you'd think with all that commotion they would hide until everyone left. Nope, the larger one was hunting down a poor little crab...it was just running for it's little life. When the crab got out in the open and out from around the rocks, the mantis stayed in the furthest rock and watched from a far. Now the rock itself was like a little island by itself with my wood's polyps growing all over it. It had holes in it which the mantis shot in and out of each hole waiting for his audience to dissappear. Obvoiuisly, we did not. I sighed and explained that it killed another crab and that I had missing snails and a missing $40 fish . So, my friends daughter said why not just take the rock out. I told her that I would not like to get my fingers split open lol, so she suggested salad tongs. At first I thought it was a crazy idea. Mantis are smart, fast and if it were that easy why would they sell traps. But I had a few drinks in me and thought, why not. So my friend Maria (who also does SW) got a net just in case the shrimp jumped out...which I exspected if to do really. It did not. Once we got the rock out, we put it in a bucket of water and Maria began to inspect it to see if she could see it, out it came and dropped into the bucket. It was huge! I could not beleive it was that easy. I spent 18.99 on a trap and got it out for free : )...but I still have a smaller one in there...I am hoping thats the only one left. Now, I am looking at it's appendages and they are thick and somewhat but not totally flat, they have almost a rounded shape on the top. Will these type kill fish? I was told by the guy at Liverock's.com they do not...but I can not find my anthia

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

fish whent somewhere didnt it pop him in the sump or back to the lfs im shure someone will take him

Old 01-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

If he is a smasher it is unlikely that it killed one of your fish.

It wouldn't matter to me if it killed any fish or not - If I can catch the one in my tank he's going in the sump, or to another reefer who can give him a good home. Mine has already eaten more than his worth in snails and hermits.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sounds like a smasher, most that hide in rock are. Thats what I got from my LR.com rock. Smashers will take out inverts, but have a tough time with fish.
Caught mine with a trap and he now resided in a nano on my LFS's counter.
Good job, exciting party.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought it was the mantis because my anthia is very shy and also hides in the rocks. It's been 2 days now, I hope I find her...

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 01-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think i may take my friends duaghter to get her nails done any way she likes, getting those suckers out is worth anything to me

Old 01-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I found my anthia...it will be hard to tell the cause of death because the hemits have her now. I can tell you however that it was NOT disease. I saw her two days ago with absolutely nothing wrong with her. I am so sad, she was so bueatiful. I have a pic of her in my gallery. Sigh...I guess I'll take her out now.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Japanese

Did you all know that the japanese restaraunts by Mantis when they get large and eat them? There is a place off Indian Head Hwy in Maryland that sells SW in the back of their Nursery. Very large place...and they get them in often, these things are just WOW beutiful. The ones they get in are about 4-5" long and about as big around as a thick hot dog. Talk about the little guys splitting your finger...I would not even want to think about putting anything close to these guys.

BTW did you take any pictures? I like to see them.

http://www.veirs.org/photos/tanks.jpg

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
http://www.veirs.org
sdveirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going to but my LFS asked if he could have him (he is frozen though), to show his costumers when they ask "what is this thing in my tank?"

Old 01-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have another one in my tank though and when I get it out I will post pictures. My husband heard when we left to exchange the broken trap. Of which I found bangii (am I spelling that wrong) cardinals (the black and silver striped ones) for $11 apeice. They are in QT now...doesn't replace my sunburst though...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com