mantis !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, I'm hoping the exclimation mark will grab your attention...

I'm looking for a peacock mantis, or really any mantis that will not kill me instantly (ie: something a tad small), but I have yet to find a LFS around here that has any. I ask them and they give me a snooty "why would you want one of them" and then say they do not sell mantis' but rather they kill them whenever they find them in their shipments of LR..

so anyways, sorry about my endless ranting, but I really want a mantis shrimp for my 5 gallon sw tank that I've had setup for a month now thats just going to be a mantis only tank...

ok, stop that ranting again... so is there a website that has mantis' besides www.saltwaterfish.com (or whatever it was) or does anyone in the SoCal area know of a LFS with them ?

TIA
thane

you think ? I thought a 5 gallon would be fine for awhile for a mantis.. maybe I'll rethink my decision

Thanks

I just purchased a fish store a few months ago and have been talking to my sw distributors about fish inverts and etc. They are telling me that they can get me mantis shrimp a few times a month from common to very rare. Let me know we might be able to work something out.

I have a peacock mantis that is about an inch (give or take) long that came with my new rock. He has already eaten another brownish smaller mantis (assuming eaten - he is no longer viewable in my fuge). He is really nicely colored and is like a brown to charcoal black with blue on the tail and red/orange on the eyes and head. I sat there and watched him eat a few pods that were swimming in my refugium last night.... and I don't have many of those to spare - or at least that I see. I may sell for like 25.00 plus the cost of shipping...

I would not buy a mantis

If you can't get one for free...how else do you propose he obtain one?

They are great pets....it is just that they are incompatible with keeping most other things in the same aquarium.

Mine has lived now for nearly 1 year in a 5 gallon. He's no more than 2 inches, but I don't know how large he may get. What surprises me is that I already know that I would invest in a larger tank to keep him if necessary....he's that enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom