mantis dilema/got him (update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you may remember a while back, I posted about a large mantis. I eventually ended up dipping all 150lbs of rock trying to remove the bugger. No luck. I've since lost (over the course of two months) my sebae anemone (due to stress I guess of being moved around to much. I'd had this anemone for 1.5 years), a false perc clown, a watchman gobie and a royal gamma. I know the mantis didn't kill the anemone but he's indirectly responsible :evil:
Anyway, I've located the mantis again and actually managed to get that rock out of the tank. I know he's in there this time cause I could see him after the rock was out. The problem is, it's a star polyp rock. I know this got long winded but is there any way to get this guy out without killing it or my star polyps? I tried shooting fresh water and hypo water into the hole and all that managed to do was make him mad. He was shooting out pieces of rock and shell at me. Any help is appreciated. TIA

Depending on how much you hate the Mantis you could stick something sharp in the hole and skewer it.

I don't actually hate him. He's doing what he needs to to survive, even though he's tallying up quite a dinner bill. The tunnel he's in turns so I wouldn't know how to skewer him if I wanted to. When I pulled the rock out I could see him. When I looked again, he was gone so I don't know how many turns his tunnel makes. I'd actually thought about trying to break the rock.

I am afraid a hypo dip would be too hard on the polys. Do you have a QT? If so, put in in there and you might get lucky and catch him out of his hole. With no food for a few days you may be able to bait it out. Good luck...Lando

Lando, I'm considering setting up another tank. I don't have a QT set up right now.

fireman26m. LOL I love Poe. The Cask Of Amontillado. Poor drunken Fortunato. LOL

Maybe just take the rock out of water and let it sit for a few minutes. He may scurry out. Not sure how tough this would be on the corals.....I'm not a coral guy.

I personally would give the dip a try.. those star polyps are pretty hardy.

Just do a FW dip or take it out of water for a few minutes. I think the star polyps would be ok. The QT and wait idea would be the best but if you don't have one then the other method should work.

I have found FW dips aren't very effective against very hardy critters. A mantis is definately one in that catagory. Quarryshark gave the best advice I have seen. Just leave the rock out for a few minutes. 5 out of the water wont hurt your polyps. If you have the resourses put the rock on eggcrate over a bucket or bowl of tank water. He should eventually get tired of holding his water (breath) and plop onto the water.

HTH R-

Ok, I'll try that. He doesn't care about the freshwater. I tried that already and only managed to make him mad. Thanks everyone.

Or seal the rock, perhaps, if you don't mind the cruelty. I think it may come down to that if you don't want to destroy the polyps, too. 8O

Well, I give up and he is now in a ten with his polyp rock. He is a determined beast. No amount of time out of the water was gonna get him to bail. I guess he would rather go down with the ship than to jump out. He'll slip up though at some point. He's gotta come out to look for food eventually. Thanks everyone.

Go get a cheap snail from the LFS and drop him in the 10 with the mantis. He should come out eventually :)

I don't need to sacrifice a snail. He eagerly takes thawed shrimp or dried krill. I'm just gonna give him a few days to get really hungry. Then tempt him. I guess since he put me to the trouble of setting up another tank, I'll have to keep him. It's just a bare bones tank for now so I'll set him up right if he cooperates.

Use your finger as bait. LOL

Star polyps grow on a mat that can easily be peeled off and placed on another rock if need be.

Seltzer water injected into the hole is a good shot. If you dip the entire rock into fresh water, your going to kill everything on/in the rock.

Back
Top Bottom