Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so one of my buddies is wanting a mantis shrimp and a reef tank.. Is this possible in one tank? Live aquaria says no but there are a lot of videos online that show mantis shrimp in a reef tank!?

They are fine with corals, just no other inverts like shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. The mantis will kill them.

Oh yeah no fish either lol. Forgot that's not a given. Idk about an urchin.

If it isn't a coral the mantis will go after it. TBH, I wouldn't put anything other than softies with a mantis. Sloppy eaters, just like eels, make keeping pristine water difficult. I also believe mantis don't like a strong flow that sps need anyway.

If it isn't a coral the mantis will go after it. TBH, I wouldn't put anything other than softies with a mantis. Sloppy eaters, just like eels, make keeping pristine water difficult. I also believe mantis don't like a strong flow that sps need anyway.

Good to know, thanks!

A friend of mine bought one and put it in a Critter Keeper in his big reef tank. Smashed the plastic and walked out. Lost loads of stuff. Don't actually know if this is true, but there are rumors that they'll crack glass.

I would not keep one in a reef tank because you will always have your hands in your reef tank for one reason or another, and this won't be as easy with a creature like this lurking around.

My LFS is selling a pretty big one for 79.99. I don't remember exactly, but I think I read that fishermen call them Thumb Splitters.

Back
Top Bottom