Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to 4inchSandBed
MANTIS SHRIMP

Its offical i have a MANTIS SHRIMP!!. I was hoping that it was a pistol shrimp but after seeing it today and comparing it to pics I found online, i realize that it is indeed a MANTIS SHRIMP.

The funny thing is that nothing in my tank has been killed or died since I started my tank (about 10 weeks ago). But today as i was feeding my fish i noticed that my bi-color angel was missing. I looked all over for him and couldnt find him. He dissappeared like a fart in the wind. My question is y wouldnt the Mantis go after something smaller like my chromis, clowns, or cleaner shrimp??

Is it possible for a Mantis (about 1.5 inch long) to capture and eat an entire dwarf angel?

Also I hae tried the bottle method to try to capture the shrimp and have come up unsuccessful. Does anyone else have any other suggestions on how to rid my tank of this pest?

thank you

Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try the exterminator mantis trap.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&N=2004&Nty=1
I doubt a mantis that size took out your dwarf angel. I may have died and been cleaned up by your snails and whatever else you have for a cleanup crew.
I read about success using a carbonated sw dip. Use unflavored carbonated water and mix it with your sw like normal. The bubbles in the carbon will irritate the shrimp and cause him to jump ship. HTH

Old 05-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

HELP!!!!!

I tried catchin him and the **** thing is lightning fast. He zips threw the rocks and its impossible to corner him. I have a good idea which rock he hides in. Should i just remove the live rock?

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreci
Old 05-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could remove the rock and QT if you have room. Then when he leaves the rock, remove it. Or, you could try injecting the hole where you think it's residing, with fresh water. That may flush him out. Mantis are very, very smart which makes them a challenge to catch. Persistence will be your best defense against him.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
yeah, just keep at it 4 inch, how are you water parameters? I dont see how a Mantis that size can take down a Dwarf Angel. If you see him go in a peice of liverock, take that peice out right away, then you can put that liverock into your Quarantine tank like fluff said. Do you have a QT? If not use a bucket. Let us know how it goes, take pics, and be careful hanling them, i heard they can take a finger off. I heard you can freeze it or sell it / give it to someone on the forum.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you can keep a separate tank for it, he'll make a great pet. Mine lives alone in a small 5 gallon...(one of those all-in-one kits)

I doubt he took out the fish. Mostly, we see "clubbers". They can deliver quite a whack, but they aren't going to take out a fish that is bigger than they are.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

MANTIS is CAUGHT!!

Well I made a trap (plastic bottle) and put a chunk of Formula ONE in it and to my surprise it worked. I caught the lil sucker. I have pics if anyone needs to see what it looks like. Its a scary, vicious lil thing with nasty hammer like claws.

Thanks badfish for the advice....

Mantis Shrimp body count:

1. Bi-Color Angel (still cant find the remains)
2. Yellow Tang (very sexy one, buried yesterday)
3. 2 Chromis (not sure if he killed them)

Real Men use a HEX
Old 05-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

lets see em.

Old 05-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm gonna have to try that.. Formula one?? I'm gonna get me a bottle tomorrow and catch my little clickers.. I think I may have as many as 3...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

they may not be mantis, they may be pistol shrimp, your probably be better off using a raw shrimp since formula one will break up really fast. i have a clicking to, but not yet tried to trap him, however, i am not missing any inverts or fish, so hoping it is a pistol. Nice job on catchin the Mantis 4 inch.

Tags
mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com