mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up a 20 gallon high species tank. I wanted a peacock mantis, have been waiting for a long time for one. LFS just received a lime or green mantis. He is very cool, curious about size. He is only 2-3 inches now. Does he compare to the peacock ?? Same only a different color ?? TIA

No matter what color and pattern these shrimp come in, the one thing that remains the same is their ability to crack your tank. Most mantis shrimps can obtain a size of 8" and have the power to shatter the bones in your hand. Be very careful...and hope you have extra strong glass...or better yet...an acrylic tank.

They are certainly beautiful shrimp though. Good luck.

There are many species of mantis that only get to 2-3 inches. You can use this list to try to identify the lil guy: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Given the green color, take a look at "Neogonodactylus wennerae" and "Gonodactylus smithii". The N. wennerae is more likely since it is more common.

Mantis shrimp of this size are not going to break your tank. A large peacock in a thin-glass tank is a risk, however.

DragonForce has been reading up on these a lot lately. He would probably be a good one to ask.

I have a peacock, and a G.platysoma. Each in their own specie specific aquarium. The g.platysoma is in a 6g nanocube and the peacock is in a 12g eclipse bowfront.

A "lime green mantis" could be about 6 different species. They change colors depending on their enviornment and what depth they are living at. My G.platysoma was sold as a "green mantis" but I identified him before I bought him.

If you can take a few good pictures of the mantis and post them I can probably help you out. The main thing I will need is a nice clear body shot and a picture of the face/raptorial appendage area.

I would wait for a peacock though, they are much more aggressive and interesting animals. A large old grumpy male peacock mantis can reach a max. size of about 9 inches. In a 20g you have a very very low percentage of the animal breaking the glass.

TCTFish said:
No matter what color and pattern these shrimp come in, the one thing that remains the same is their ability to crack your tank. Most mantis shrimps can obtain a size of 8" and have the power to shatter the bones in your hand. Be very careful...and hope you have extra strong glass...or better yet...an acrylic tank.

They are certainly beautiful shrimp though. Good luck.

This is very false information. Most species of mantis reach a maximum length from the eye stalks to the telson of about 3.5 inches, often times less. A few of the very large species reach a length of 8-14 inches. Most of these animals are rare in the saltwater hobby becuase many of them are of the spearer type and don't actually live in live rock so you can't get them as hitchhikers.

Stating that mantis shrimp will attack and break your glass is the most over rated factor regarding stomatopods.

They also don't shatter bones, I don't know where you got this information.

Mantis are interesting creature. I think its a cool idea to set up a species tank.
I have one running around my main, been there for almost 2 year. I catch a glimse one in a while and except for the occasional snail, he hasn't taken anything out of importance.
I managed to trap one about a year ago and kept him is a 10 gallon for a month or so. I it wan't for the wife putting her foot down about another tank, I would have kept him. :roll:
Good luck and be sure to post pics when you get him!! :)

Many of them will usually eat snails and small hermits if they are in your main system. If you can't trap him you might as well try and interact with them. Some people target feed their mantis with frozen silversides, this can also reduce casualties.

Back
Top Bottom