mantis shrimp beat up my hammer coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I saw that in two areas, the hard skeleton of my hammer coral was broken off. The largest broken area is about one inch in diameter, and extends in less then 1/2 inch. My husband indicated that he noticed a smaller segment yesterday, and today it was tripled in size. Otherwise, this coral has been perfectly healthy.
I did notice a mantis shrimp peering out of a hole about 2 weeks ago, and about 5 days ago, I saw him start to wander around the tank. It was my plan to try to capture him ASAP, but I haven't had time until today.
Because the skeleton is so hard, I could not imagine any other creature doing that type of damage, but I was unaware that a mantis would attack a coral? Have you seen this before?
Is there any harm in moving the coral to my refugium for a little while, for safety? Or should I formally quarantine it? Do I need to do anything else about the broken sections, or will they heal in time?

its hard to say if they will heal. A pic may help also.. If the soft tissue in the skeleton is exposed I would say that that head will die.
Its possible the mantis saw some food?? watch you fingers around that puppy...

How about moving the coral to another part of the tank.. Does the fuge have enough light for a hammer?

Back
Top Bottom