Mantis Shrimp compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I am planning on starting a ~30 Sw tank and was wondering what sort of limitations I would have if I was to include a mantis shrimp into my tank. Does he hunt other inverts or do any damage to anything in the tank? I would like to add some coral, maybe an anemone, other shrimp, hermits, and a few fish.

Depending on the type of mantis it could kill everything or nothing.
I have a 3" manits in my 20 fuge with 2 fish and some crabs and snails and a pepperment shrimp and he has been good for 4 months now.
My friend had one that was about 6-7" and it was a killer.. anything put in the tank was mantis food.

how big do mantis shrimp get? Are there smal mantis shrimp that I coulk keep alone in a small nano? I'd like to have one in this tank, but don't want to take any risks.

I dont know how many kinds there are... there are a few that I have seen. I have seen one about 9" long and it tried to get me throught the glass tank, I thought it was going to break the tank it hit the side of the tank so hard.
my frined has one in a 10 and it is doing well... they dont do much.. I only see mine once a month or so...

My mantis is green, came in with Florida LR, and has grown to about 2". He hasn't grown much in over a year, so I'm thinking that is as large as he is going to get.

Nevertheless, he attacked a new fish even though the fish was nearly twice his size.

My mantis is green, came in with Florida LR, and has grown to about 2". He hasn't grown much in over a year, so I'm thinking that is as large as he is going to get.
You better get that mantis out of there I once got my thumb split by a green mantis that was less than five inches.

Back
Top Bottom