Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Zack, I have personally witnessed one of your mantis go after a fish. I admit that his attack was unsuccessful, but it wasn't for lack of trying. I wouldn't advise keeping them with fish.

LR.com rock is the finest product available simply because it is "live". I wouldn't trade "mantis free" for the loss of any other organism on that rock.

My mantis was easily captured, with preservation of all life on the rock as the main priority. He (she) now lives happily in his (her) own tank. In fact, I would be down right disappointed if I hadn't got at least one mantis in my shipment!

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

That was good of you Pat M. We all say things sometimes we should not say, or didnt come out right. Afterwards we have to remove our foot from our mouth.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
LR.com rock is the finest product available simply because it is "live". I wouldn't trade "mantis free" for the loss of any other organism on that rock.
I just got about 9 pounds of Cured Fiji for a good price and added it to my tank. Compared to the aquacultured Florida rock I started with (looks just like www.liverock.com Keys rock), the Fiji is REALLY boring. I have not yet seen one cool think come from the Fiji rock

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Compared to the aquacultured Florida rock I started with (looks just like www.liverock.com Keys rock), the Fiji is REALLY boring. I have not yet seen one cool think come from the Fiji rock
Agree completely. In fact my the coraline from my keys rock has covered the Fiji and caribbean rock that I purchased a year earlier. The earlier rock was severely lacking much of any visible life until I placed the LR.com rock.
I did get one mantis and I now regret giving him to my LFS, he was vary interesting to watch.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:34 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is this your guy? If so, KILL KILL KILL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mantis_shrimp.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	879   Click image for larger version

Views:	417
ID:	880  

Click image for larger version

Views:	415
ID:	881  
Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They are very interesting to look at. BUT! they have switchblades that will distroy any and everything!
Good Luck,
Jason
Old 02-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

NO KILL KILL KILL.....mantis are actually wanted by other aquarist, especially the peacock mantis in the pic above. It's a high demand critter. I'll personally take all you can get me. They sell great here.

Fireman

Tags
mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com