Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-10-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Mantis Shrimp, friend or foe?

I purchased around 40#'s of live rock from liverocks.com in April. In the first few weeks after adding the rock I noticed my flame goby was missing. I assumed the addition of the liverock stressed him out and the crabs ate him. Anyway, the past few nights while I have been feeding my fish I noticed a newcomer. I have a mantis shrimp alright! It is just over an inch long with purple forceps. It is really a cool looking creature, very colorful. When I feed my fish it eats with them, scurrying around picking up the scraps that fall on the rock. This creature has been in my tank for almost four months without causing any further damage.

Am I playing Russian roulette by leaving it in my tank?

What should I do?

cybercron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Re: Mantis Shrimp, friend or foe?

Originally Posted by cybercron
Am I playing Russian roulette by leaving it in my tank?

What should I do?

IMO, yes you are. Mantis shrimp will eat pretty much anything they can catch/kill. Most people who choose to keep them house them in a species only tank. At 1" your mantis probably isn't a huge threat to large fish but he will only get bigger and meaner

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the advice. I chose to err on the side of caution. I removed the mantis shrimp from my tank. unfortunately he did not survive the capture process (freshwater dip).

I was hoping to keep him in a nano cube.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Carbonated water dips do a lot less damage to everything else on the rock.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
The whole operation only took about five minutes. I will try carbonated water next time.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found the easiest way is to pull the rock it is in out of the tank and put it in a rubbermaid container or bucket. Tilt the container so the rock stays dry and a pool forms at the bottom of the container by useing a turkey baster to lightly spray water from your tank on the stuff you want to keep wet every minute or so. The shrimp will jump out in about 5-10 minutes and go to the pool of water. Worked with the 3 mantis in my tank and I am just waiting for my last 1 to show its face so I can get him also.
custman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you were to keep the mantis in a separate tank, what else could be housed with it? And what would you feed it?
TygGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mantis are a fascinating creature (obviously I'm a little biased). There are unfortunately a lot of myths about them on the internet. It's myth that the mantis shrimp that came with your live stock will destroy your system. In almost every case, rock hitchhikers are smasher as opposed to spearer type species who's max size is about 3 inches. Their primary prey are small crustaceans, snails and mollusks, not your prized Angelfish. Small hitchhiker stomatopods of 1" will take about 2 years to grow to any size threatening to any animals larger than hermits and snails, giving you plenty of opportunity to trap it. Smasher type mantis can grab a small fish but they would prefer hermits and snails. I know of a number of people who keep fish as well as soft corals in their mantis nano.

There are also no documented cases of receiving potentially "tank-breaking" O. Scyllarus, G. Chiragra, G. Platysoma or H. Californiensis as hitchhikers. Those are the only 4 species who can do it and they can only do it when they get larger. The O.s. (peacock mantis) is often available for sale mainly because they often leave their den and wander across sand flats where it is easier for divers to collect them.

Mine like frozen cocktail shrimp (thawed and rinsed well obviously) and formula one on occassion. I've never heard of a problem feeding a mantis shrimp unless it was overfed, ill or preparing to molt. Our pet currently gets pieces of tiger prawn, which divided came out to be about 20 good-sized meal chunks. I'm going to vary the diet using as much fresh seafood as I can including, shrimp, squid, scallops, clams, mussels, fish, etc. Maybe even a tiny bit of fresh Abalone. I have read of them being lazy after being fed lots of shelled prepared foods that they may hesitate to break open food if they can help it. One thing to note is that smashers will sometimes lose their "clubs" if they're not used over time, so it's a good idea if you can, to occasionally feed them whole clams, mussels, crabs or snails in the shell. Also freeze-dried krill are a great media to absorb liquid vitamin supplements. Something I've read that was really interesting was that in studies, Mantises would selectively choose food for the most food benefit that can be opened by the least number of strikes. It seems they're smart enough to plan their diet and energy usage.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, that makes them seem slightly less evil. lol j/k
I think I still have a very very small one in my rock somewhere.
Knowing it'll take a couple years for him to grow to a larger size is comforting.
Thanks for the info.
Sea Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I also got one in my tank. He is very small, less than a half inch. I have seen it twice since purchasing some rock about a month ago. Right now he don't look menacing at all. I think I will wait and see on this. Thanks for the insight on the Mantis Shrimp MantisFreak..I think I will do a little more research on this critter myself.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com