Mantis Shrimp Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielparra1911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody, I want to setup my first saltwater aquarium. A 5 gallon with live rock and a green mantis shrimp. I know a small tank usually is a bad start from r a beginner, but I have many reptiles and a few freshwater tanks and I'm up to the challenge. So what would be a step by step to building this tank and the things I need. It doesn't need to be a high tech tank. Also what are the steps for maintaining a small saltwater tank like this. Thanks

- Daniel

I just remembered I have a 2.7 gallon laying around would that be adequate size for a green mantis shrimp? How Would I need to change the media in a HOB filter I have to make it for a saltwater tank?

Last edited:
Stable salinity and water temp will be your biggest factor in a smaller tank like that. Also make sure you have a good piece of LR for the mantis shrimp to hide in so that it's not over stressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just remembered I have a 2.7 gallon laying around would that be adequate size for a green mantis shrimp? How Would I need to change the media in a HOB filter I have to make it for a saltwater tank?

Marine pure mimics habitat for beneficial bacteria in saltwater systems. Put that into your HOB

Your challenges are when it comes to a small tank with shrimp IMO:

Temperature stability. Small tanks change temperature fast. Shrimp hate that.

Rapid PH changes, again shrimp hate that as well.

Rapid salinity changes.

Fluctuations in calcium, alkalinity and Mg, needs to stay high for good molting.

Good water quality.

Good diet.

What's not at issue is:

Space, shrimp require little of it.

Lighting, they could care less. I personally would keep it on the dark side to stimulate appearances.

Danger, you would have to work at it to get stung.

Tank breakage, I think only the bottom glass may be vulnerable, so some egg crate under the gravel would cure that.

One of the coolest creatures on the planet. If you get one just take good care of him as they can live a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Your challenges are when it comes to a small tank with shrimp IMO:

Temperature stability. Small tanks change temperature fast. Shrimp hate that.

Rapid PH changes, again shrimp hate that as well.

Rapid salinity changes.

Fluctuations in calcium, alkalinity and Mg, needs to stay high for good molting.

Good water quality.

Good diet.

What's not at issue is:

Space, shrimp require little of it.

Lighting, they could care less. I personally would keep it on the dark side to stimulate appearances.

Danger, you would have to work at it to get stung.

Tank breakage, I think only the bottom glass may be vulnerable, so some egg crate under the gravel would cure that.

One of the coolest creatures on the planet. If you get one just take good care of him as they can live a long time.

Thank you for this list, it is very appreciated. Do you have a good care sheet for a green mantis shrimp? I have researched them a lot already, but I would like to know as much as possible about them before setting one up. Also, are they compatible with any live coral. Thanks again, Daniel

They are certainly compatible with corals. They are relatively easy to care for. Near sighted you need to position food close to their burrow so they can find it. They can catch small fish so be aware of that.

Aquarium Invertebrates: An Introduction to the Mantis Shrimps — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Thanks again Greg. You have been a great deal of help. But I have more questions. Would a green mantis shrimp do fine in my 2.7 gallon that is 8.3 x 9.8 x 10 inches? It's more tall than wide or deep which worries me because most mantis shrimp sit at the bottom. What should I do for filtration on a tiny tank like this? Lastly, what should I do for lighting if I want corals? Thanks a ton.

- Daniel

My first recommendation is to try to use a bigger tank. In some ways it takes more expertise and work to maintain a successful nano aquarium and you don't want to kill your shrimp.

That being said, if the tank doesn't have a integrated filter, a HOB is probably your best bet. I haven't used a HOB in ages, so others here can recommend various brands.

Coral capable lights are available everywhere for nano tanks. 10 watts would be more than enough.

My first recommendation is to try to use a bigger tank. In some ways it takes more expertise and work to maintain a successful nano aquarium and you don't want to kill your shrimp.

That being said, if the tank doesn't have a integrated filter, a HOB is probably your best bet. I haven't used a HOB in ages, so others here can recommend various brands.

Coral capable lights are available everywhere for nano tanks. 10 watts would be more than enough.

What would be a good size tank for the species I want, Gonodactylellus Viridis... I don't want to over kill on something that's about 2" long. I want the shrimp to be comfortable, but I don't want to get a massive tank like a 30gallon. Also am I supposed to mod the hob filter it seems like it would start to collect salt inside of the filter.

What would be a good size tank for the species I want, Gonodactylellus Viridis... I don't want to over kill on something that's about 2" long. I want the shrimp to be comfortable, but I don't want to get a massive tank like a 30gallon. Also am I supposed to mod the hob filter it seems like it would start to collect salt inside of the filter.

Back
Top Bottom