Mantis Shrimp Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay917

Aquarium Advice Regular
To chase out a mantis shrimp, What is the best method to take? I heard a fresh water dip or a high salinity water dip will help chase them out. Which one is better in terms of keepin the corrline algae and perserving the life on the rocks?

does it still perserve the life on the rock or does it kill everything off? I want to keep the corrline algae growth on the rock as well as to keep the rocks "alive"

It preserves everything, even the mantis, they just flee the rock to escape the carbonation. It'll also get all the crabs to do the same. You can then sort them out in the bucket of carbonated water.

CAn i use half water and half carbonated water or does it need to be 100% carbonated?

The idea being to make the water as similar to regular tank water as possible...but different enough to make the mantis try to go elsewhere. Anything that is unpleasant enought to make the mantis jump is going to be hard on other life on the rock.

However, my mantis jumped for it after when I plunged his rock up and down in regular tank water. It would seem that he didn't like the flushing action. I had the rock out of the tank for no more than 30 seconds.

I don't know if that will work for you or not, but it is worth a first shot.

I read about a mantis shrimp trap called "the terminator" it supposed to catch them. The one I saw was around $15. In case everything else fails...

I bought a trap, spent $18, the trap never caught anything but hermits. Couldn't keep them out long enough to catch it. One night a group of us watched him stalking a small crab and he darted into a small rock, took out the rock, poked around in it with some long tweezers and out he came. $18 and I caught him for free. Try it you may get lucky. IME, anything I have ever caught, be it demon worms, menacing crabs or mantis shrimp...it has ALWAYS been easiest to just pull the rock and flush it out.

I've had a clicking sound in my tank since adding live rock. Normally its a single click, occasionally one then another. I'm still not sure if its a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp. When moving the live rocks to the tank I did see a red/brown colored shrimp like creature, but did not see it close enough to identify if it was or was not a shrimp. I have not seen anything shrimp like moving about, but I look every night.

Have not lost any creatures that I can see only have 2 small damsels and a fairly large emerald crab.

I'm not sure I want to tear the whole tank a part to try to find whatever is making the noise.

Any thoughts?? Just wait it out???

that's what I'm doing.. I"m dropping in a few pieces of shrimp a night and just watching and getting whatever it is clicking to get used to eating the shrimp, so when I do want to catch it I can with shrimp and a bottle

Back
Top Bottom