Mantis Shrimp help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well my cleaner shrimp has vanished along with a hermit crab. What I once thought was a pistol shrimp (clicks at night) now I belive is a mantis shrimp. I've never seen it, I only hear it.

I tried traping him for about a week with no success, and I'm getting impaitent and want him out before he eats anything else. I've heard you can dip your rock into different things to get him out. I've heard fresh water, soda water, and salt water with dry ice in it will make them shoot out.

Which one is the best? I would prefer not to kill everything on my rock, is there any dips that won't? Thanks for the help.

I've heard the best way to get him out without losing the life on your rock is a carbonated SW dip. You can use soda water and mix salt in. The carbonation should get the mantis to shoot out without too much harm to the life on the rock.

I haven't done this before, but hopefully it will work for you. HTH

tripper

Carbonated SW dip is the only way you will keep from killing all the good stuff. If you have a container/bucket and a powerhead you could move a piece of rock over to it until you are able to pinpoint which rock he is in. Once you find the hole he is in a turkey baster with some FW will flush him out without harming the whole rock. If you are having this much trouble with 1 in 40 lbs of rock I am dreading the 320 lbs I have coming in from lr.com next week.

Back
Top Bottom