Mantis shrimp Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lfs guy keeps telling me that my Salinity should be between 1018-1020 but online sources say 1022-1026. Mine has been hovering around 1020, is that OK for a purple spot mantis?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You want it 1.025-1.026. That is where the ocean is at. Being an invert te shrimp will not do well at 1.020

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just curious but is this the same infamous LFS guy that ordered a peacock mantis, swore it was, only for your research to prove it's a purple two spot ? If so, I'd probably make it my best interest to quit dealing with him. Sounds like he's got much going on up top. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Yeah it's the same guy. Most of his freshwater advice has been spot on but I think I'll go somewhere else for my saltwater needs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1022 - 1026. Ajust the salinity according to your corals needs. xPS need higher SG.

All corals/inverts do better at a sg near 1.025-26. Idk why companies state softies 1.022, lps 1.023-24 and sps 1.025-26. That's just dumb lol

All corals/inverts do better at a sg near 1.025-26. Idk why companies state softies 1.022, lps 1.023-24 and sps 1.025-26. That's just dumb lol

FOWLR tanks are better at 1020-1022 IMO... That will cost a bit less salt overtime. I prefer my tank (zoans and LPS) at 1024, this work fine since I started. Coral grow well.

RedSea Pro Salts is the best brand I found :D They state as you said... Lower salt for FOWLR, and higher for SPS....

IMO I would only go to the higher range when you get any corals, and the lower for FOWLR...

Mantis are more sensitive than fish and I agree with bribo should be kept at NSW levels.

Back
Top Bottom