Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller31 View Post
Well it definately cleared the red slime,...
Well... yes... it will definitely do that! But like mdaniel said, if you don't find the source of the excess nutrients that the stuff feeds off of, it will be back.

A lot of those medications *say* they won't effect your nitrifying bacteria, but whenever I've used Maracyn (in a hospital tank), I haven't found that to be the case.

I would definitely find a new fish store. That LFS gave you some really bad BAD BAAAAD advice. I would probably do 33% every day, if it was me. Just make sure you salinity and temperature of the new water match your old water. You have a refractometer? If not, this would be a good time to buy one. I'd also run a fair amount of carbon to try and suck that stuff out.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had another LFS come and do a water change and check everything out. He said it would be fine, he only changed 10 gals. I have also been using saltwater on my sump refills, he did advise using purified water..My salt content or whatever that is was way high..He said everything should be fine, and to call him and he would come by and check everything again in a week..

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just a little point. I've found blacking out the tank for 3 days quite effective. I had some red slime in my tank and after 3 days all that was left were specs.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller31 View Post
I had another LFS come and do a water change and check everything out. He said it would be fine, he only changed 10 gals. I have also been using saltwater on my sump refills, he did advise using purified water..My salt content or whatever that is was way high..He said everything should be fine, and to call him and he would come by and check everything again in a week..
Salt does not evaporate so always top off your tank with RO/DI Water. If you need to bring it down do it slowly. The higher the salinity the less O2 in the water.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDPhenomX4 View Post
Just a little point. I've found blacking out the tank for 3 days quite effective. I had some red slime in my tank and after 3 days all that was left were specs.
yeah that works quiet well but the problem will come right back if you do not find the cause of the problem. You do not want to run your reef tank 3 days normal light schedule, 3 days black out. to get rid of the cyano

Tags
maracyn, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com