mardel coppersafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a copper question!!! the instruction say that i should add 5 ml per every 4 gallons and that i should add more depending on how much i removed during the pwcs, but it doesnt say how often should i do pwc's so im wondering that once a week like usual, but how much water should i removed everytime?????? and how long should i keep treating the tank? i guess atleast 6 weeks and the 2 weeks b4 i put them back in to the main tank i should do a 100% water change on my qt so the copper is completely gone? is that right or how shoud i do it

I would probably do around a 1/3 water change once a week on a QT tank since the filtration is not as good as it is in the main tank. Make sure you try to match the temp, ph, salinity as closely as you can though to avoid stress. As far as how long to keep them in the QT. I would say 10-14 days after you don't see any more signs of ich (i assume that's what your treating for). I would also consider giving the fish just a quick 30 second freshwater dip to try and kill any free floating larval stage and wash off the copper so you don't transfer anything you don't intend to in the main tank.

A little extra vitamin/garlic enriched food would probably not hurt your cause either after you transfer back into the main to try and bounce their immune systems back as quickly as possible.

thanks, i been feeding them vitamin mysis and i also add zoe and garlic, but dont i have to wait atleast 6 weeks to put my fish back in the DT due that ich live cycle

FYI, You wont be able to get 100% of the copper out of your QT, there will always be trace amounts left in it this is why a dedicated tank or vessel is needed for treating with copper.

Make sure you have a test kit for that type of copper (chelated) treatment . An API kit will give the correct readings.

I've heard that the silicone sealent in the aquarium can absorb enough of the copper in the medication to cause future problems. Haven't seen it myself, so I can't disprove it.

Still, the live rock, sand, etc, will all absorb some of it. Copper in your reef tank is a no-no

Back
Top Bottom