Marine Aquarium Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuff_Mcduff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

This is my first post so hope someone can help me out.
Not long ago I had a fish tank built in the wall. Its quite a narrow tank at 10 inches thick. Ive got the live rock piled up in the middle of the tank but everytime I clean the tank and slightly knock the live rock, it all comes tumbling down. It's driving me mad now. Does anynoe know of a good adhesive that I can use without having to empty the tank?

Thanks

James

They do make some epoxies that are safe. I dont know of any names but I`m sure someone will be on soon to let you know. I know others have done drilling and those zip ties also.

Ive been using "Fix-it-STICK" made by Oatey. It works very well and cures a greyish color. I use it under water all the time. Very little residue. Its two part epoxy that comes in a plastic tube that you break and then roll/knead.

Matt

+1,I've used an epoxy putty which is specialy made for aquariums and have used it on my new tank setup I don't remember the name but this one sets in water and sets to a purple colour like macro algae

I've used acrylic rods and silicone. In my opinion, that works the best because it gives you two forms of stability, instead of one by just using either alone. I personally wouldn't recommend using any type of silicone or any type of epoxy by ITSELF.. unless you were doing smaller rock structures. When you make larger structures made up of a few rocks.. it will be pretty heavy so you wan't those rocks to be as stable as possible. Any falling over or tipping and it could crash in to the tank walls.. ya know?

Like i was saying.. i would recommend using either 1/4" or 1/2" acrylic rods, depending on the size of the rocks you are working with.. and then just fill in the gaps with aquarium-safe silicone.. OR aquarium safe epoxy. Either one would do fine.. i just used the silicone because it was easier to apply and a little less messy. And to put the acrylic rods in.. you'll need to get a certain bit, depending on how soft or how hard the rock is. I used a standard black-oxide type bit(1/2 inch) and i my rocks were fiji rocks.. which are pretty soft so i had no troubles drilling in to them. If you had rocks that were less-porous and thicker.. you would need something like a stainless steel bit. Just whatever bit you choose.. make sure you buy it new unless you are 100% sure you've only used it for things like wood. If you've used it to drill through dry-wall.. cement and other things.. i would advise on spending the 3 or 4$ for a new bit.. not that expensive at all. Especially if you buy on online. I bought 3 drill bits for 4$ on amazon.com

Right now my rock structure are extremely stable and i've had the privilege of testing their strength.. unwillingly of course. They had fallen quite a few times after i've knocked them over. The rocks never broke off or chipped or loosened.. nothing. So that's why i advise going the acrylic rod + silicone route. It's a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom