Marine Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Reef safe?
I know it will consume small fish, just how small is small? I have never actually seen one in person at full size, so in inches how small of a fish is too small to have in there with it??
Thank you

Consume small fish?? Where did you read that? I mean, maybe a full grown one "could" smallow a small fish...but they are way too passive for that.

They are reef safe. Perfect with corals and IMO larger shrimp. I wouldnt add one with small shrimp like a Sexy shrimp or Peppermint.

Consume small fish?? Where did you read that? I mean, maybe a full grown one "could" smallow a small fish...but they are way too passive for that.

They are reef safe. Perfect with corals and IMO larger shrimp. I wouldnt add one with small shrimp like a Sexy shrimp or Peppermint.

I read they can be fed small feeder fish etc as well as seen videos of them doing such. Thats what I was hoping. I dont plan on having small fish other than my scooter dragonetes. Just trying to get all the info I can on my stocking ideas before hand so I dont run into any problems.

Thanks

Ajm said:
I read they can be fed small feeder fish etc as well as seen videos of them doing such. Thats what I was hoping. I dont plan on having small fish other than my scooter dragonetes. Just trying to get all the info I can on my stocking ideas before hand so I dont run into any problems.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend feeding freshwater feeder fish to marine fish. It isn't a good diet. Chopped up frozen, then thawed shrimp, scallops, whitefish, squid, etc.. make for a healthier diet.

CorallineAlgae said:
I wouldn't recommend feeding freshwater feeder fish to marine fish. It isn't a good diet. Chopped up frozen, then thawed shrimp, scallops, whitefish, squid, etc.. make for a healthier diet.

Agreed, my Betta goes crazy for frozen foods like mysis and brine. Even better..mix all of the above ingredients together with some nori and feed that!

CorallineAlgae said:

Thanks for the reply! I am not planning on feeding live fish just that they can eat small fish (which I would like to avoid)

Ajm said:
Thanks for the reply! I am not planning on feeding live fish just that they can eat small fish (which I would like to avoid)

I know what you mean. It's possible but the guys feeding them fish on YouTube likely aren't giving any other food choices. It's a novelty for these people. If he's well fed and happy on prepared food he'll be far less likely to gulp down his neighbors. It's possible one could, but they're all individual. Some will and others never will.

CorallineAlgae said:
I know what you mean. It's possible but the guys feeding them fish on YouTube likely aren't giving any other food choices. It's a novelty for these people. If he's well fed and happy on prepared food he'll be far less likely to gulp down his neighbors. It's possible one could, but they're all individual. Some will and others never will.

Ya that's what I figured. That's why I asked on here someone is always there with an answer! Thanks everyone!

i didnt feel like reading everything so sorry if i repeat things. I have one thats about 7" and heres my experience with him. Shrimp....lol no he goes NUTS i mean NUTS when he sees a shrimp of any size. He fans out and starts attacking and i found this out before putting them into the aquarium because when i was acclimating my shrimp i put them on the outside of the tank in a glass container and he was doing all he could to get though the glass and kill them. then with small fish....he would never hurt one. I trained mine to eat using feeder guppies at first then introdusing shrimp pellets and mysis and krill in at the same time i put the guppy in and he started eating the frozen stuff and pellets without a problem. However i do suggest feeding him live foods some times because they seem to enjoy it and you will be blown away by what you see. They imitate a eel and swim in a U shape flipping themselves around in order to confuse the pray and the idea is the pray has a 50% chance to escape towards the head and when they do....its over. They are very passive fish 99% of the time and just hang out in the back of the tank where the light is dim. Mine has adjusted alot and i can see him almost all the time swimming but alot of people have ones that just hide in the rock all day long. My marine betta is one of my favorite fish and he doesn't go unnoticed by anyone.

they eat very small fish anyways even when feeding live. they wont go after larger fish even when hungary. they like to go on hunger strikes when they move tanks and mine did for like a week+ and he never touched the 1.5" clown i have. Great fish i wouldnt worry about them being killed unless you have neon gobies or other really tiny and thin fish. they are a grouper so they do have large mouths but not very large.

CleverBs said:
i didnt feel like reading everything so sorry if i repeat things. I have one thats about 7" and heres my experience with him. Shrimp....lol no he goes NUTS i mean NUTS when he sees a shrimp of any size. He fans out and starts attacking and i found this out before putting them into the aquarium because when i was acclimating my shrimp i put them on the outside of the tank in a glass container and he was doing all he could to get though the glass and kill them. then with small fish....he would never hurt one. I trained mine to eat using feeder guppies at first then introdusing shrimp pellets and mysis and krill in at the same time i put the guppy in and he started eating the frozen stuff and pellets without a problem. However i do suggest feeding him live foods some times because they seem to enjoy it and you will be blown away by what you see. They imitate a eel and swim in a U shape flipping themselves around in order to confuse the pray and the idea is the pray has a 50% chance to escape towards the head and when they do....its over. They are very passive fish 99% of the time and just hang out in the back of the tank where the light is dim. Mine has adjusted alot and i can see him almost all the time swimming but alot of people have ones that just hide in the rock all day long. My marine betta is one of my favorite fish and he doesn't go unnoticed by anyone.

they eat very small fish anyways even when feeding live. they wont go after larger fish even when hungary. they like to go on hunger strikes when they move tanks and mine did for like a week+ and he never touched the 1.5" clown i have. Great fish i wouldnt worry about them being killed unless you have neon gobies or other really tiny and thin fish. they are a grouper so they do have large mouths but not very large.

Great thank you! You didn't repeat much but you clarified and added your own experience with the already great advice already given. I'm good to go on the betta it sounds like! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom