Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Marine Betta

Reef safe?
I know it will consume small fish, just how small is small? I have never actually seen one in person at full size, so in inches how small of a fish is too small to have in there with it??
Thank you

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Consume small fish?? Where did you read that? I mean, maybe a full grown one "could" smallow a small fish...but they are way too passive for that.

They are reef safe. Perfect with corals and IMO larger shrimp. I wouldnt add one with small shrimp like a Sexy shrimp or Peppermint.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Even LA says it'll eat small fish. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Marine Betta

If it is small enough to fit in its mouth, it might gobble it up. It all depends on the size you get. Biggest they get is 8 inches, if that helps.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Consume small fish?? Where did you read that? I mean, maybe a full grown one "could" smallow a small fish...but they are way too passive for that.

They are reef safe. Perfect with corals and IMO larger shrimp. I wouldnt add one with small shrimp like a Sexy shrimp or Peppermint.

I read they can be fed small feeder fish etc as well as seen videos of them doing such. Thats what I was hoping. I dont plan on having small fish other than my scooter dragonetes. Just trying to get all the info I can on my stocking ideas before hand so I dont run into any problems.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Even LA says it'll eat small fish. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Marine Betta

If it is small enough to fit in its mouth, it might gobble it up. It all depends on the size you get. Biggest they get is 8 inches, if that helps.
Everything helps! Ya I have been reading up on size and such just dont know if they are like lionfish and have a huge mouth or anything

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It wont eat a scooter... What tank size?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
It wont eat a scooter... What tank size?
Okay cool! Its gonna be in the 120g im still setting up. This and a harlequin tusk are going to be the "predators" in the tank

Thank you
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank

It might say that, but i'd have a hard time believing it I know from experience that this is a very timid fish.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajm

I read they can be fed small feeder fish etc as well as seen videos of them doing such. Thats what I was hoping. I dont plan on having small fish other than my scooter dragonetes. Just trying to get all the info I can on my stocking ideas before hand so I dont run into any problems.

Thanks
I wouldn't recommend feeding freshwater feeder fish to marine fish. It isn't a good diet. Chopped up frozen, then thawed shrimp, scallops, whitefish, squid, etc.. make for a healthier diet.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

I wouldn't recommend feeding freshwater feeder fish to marine fish. It isn't a good diet. Chopped up frozen, then thawed shrimp, scallops, whitefish, squid, etc.. make for a healthier diet.
Agreed, my Betta goes crazy for frozen foods like mysis and brine. Even better..mix all of the above ingredients together with some nori and feed that!

Tags
betta, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com