Marine Enterprise Crystal Sea Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustybrannum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sherman, texas-college in arlington,tx near Dall
The Marine Center Specials 1-16-05

**** NEW! ****
150 Gallon Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Salt only $16.99! That's no typo, that's $16.99 for 150 gallons of salt! WOW!
Shipping in Texas only $10, Nationwide only $24. (very heavy package!)

That is the add and seems wayyy too cheap. Anyone use this salt? I read about that they were going to do a study on which salt was better but have not seen any results when i googled it. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Don't know about this, bur becareful of those saltmix from China. They are no good. They are starting to come to the market now and cheap......

Actually this salt was the rage about a year and a half ago. Then people started reporting problems after switching to it. Kind of like the oceanic salt issues now. I know alot of vendors bought a ton of it then demand fell of. You are probably seeing a vendor trying to get rid of excess inventory! I know some people who have used it and like and others did not like it. I say for the money give it a shot.

The salt is so cheap because it is in a box and the salt has been exposed to moisture and crystalized into a block. Can this still be used once it has been wet and then dried again? I am trying to think of any reactions that can occur between the salt content and water that once it dries back solid may not occur the next time it becomes wet. Any suggestions are welcome. I put my order on hold until Monday to see if I really want any.

Ok i bought one box and these are my readings after mixing it in 50 gallons of water and brining the salinity to 1.023
pH- >8.4 my test kit i used goes to 8.4 (Salifert)
pH- >8.6 used my red sea pH test kit cause i thought the first was a bad test
Ca - 290ppm
Alk - 2.7
KH - 7.6
PO4 - 0

My tank readings:
pH - 8.2 , Ca - 300 ppm, Alk - 2.0, KH - 5.6, NH3 - 0, n02 - 0, no3 - 0, PO4 - 0,
Salinity - 1.023

Therefore my conclusion is that with no increase in Ca and a great increase in pH this salt is not worth the difference in price. I had a high pH a while back due to some misused Kalkwasser and lowered it with water changes, how do I lower my change water pH before i add it, or should i just toss it and buy some kent salt?

Back
Top Bottom